Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
25 Jul 2018
Glad to announce of release of INDI Library v1.7.4 on 2018-07-25. A few drivers were added in this release as we continue to improve & stabilize existing drivers.
Read More...

TOPIC: Indi on the rocks (a Rock64 to be exact)

Indi on the rocks (a Rock64 to be exact) 5 months 3 weeks ago #24609

• maudy
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 24
I just ordered the Rock64. One site seems to offer a few images.

Is there an image you would recommend using to flash to the SD Card?

Any pointers to get the rock64 up and running, in the end headless using vnc (x11vnc, or such) would be greatly appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Indi on the rocks (a Rock64 to be exact) 5 months 3 weeks ago #24612

• wimvb
  • wimvb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14
I can check the exact version tonight, when I switch it on again. But off the top of my head, I'd say it's the latest stable community build (ayufan) of ubuntu mate (xenial). Setup is pretty much the same as for a raspberry pi.
Have a look here also:
stargazerslounge.com/topic/305142-indi-on-the-rocks/
(The os version may have changed since I wrote this.)
Hope this helps.
The following user(s) said Thank You: maudy

Wim

Opticron Oregon 15*70, Skywatcher 150PDS + ST80, AZ-EQ6 GT + EQ3-2 Goto, ZWO ASI174MM-Cool + Pentax K20D (retired) + ZWO ASI120MM, homemade ditherbox, PixInsight, Raspberry Pi with INDI & PHD2, cloud cover

www.astrobin.com/users/wimvb/
Last Edit: by wimvb.

Indi on the rocks (a Rock64 to be exact) 5 months 3 weeks ago #24616

• maudy
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Thank you, I am going through the thread now.

Does this link make sense for the image: github.com/ayufan-rock64/linux-build/releases/tag/0.5.15

Quick edit: it seems to be a slight newer version than the one in your thread. It can be better to use a tried/true version :) Thoughts ?
Quick edit 2: okay.. reading through the thread... Nice work there thank you. I noticed you are using an even newer version. I will continue reading.

Thank you wimvb

Last Edit: by maudy.

Indi on the rocks (a Rock64 to be exact) 5 months 3 weeks ago #24621

maudy,

I would probably use the latest version, although they can make mistakes, usually things get better. There are still some issues with their Rock64 image which I posted about recently in this thread. My 64 bit script should get it mostly set up, but there were still a couple of problems with their image including icons not showing up on the desktop due to some graphics issue and the marco compositor, and an issue with the users and groups dialog to name a couple.

Thanks,

Rob

Indi on the rocks (a Rock64 to be exact) 5 months 3 weeks ago #24623

• wimvb
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Yes, use the latest stable release. I reinstalled everything since my write up on stargazerslounge. That's why I would need to check which version I run now. I've also ordered a new Rock to replace other Pi. Atm I run one Rock for the camera/wheel, and a Pi for the mount and guiding. In this configuration, the Pi is the master. Downloading images over wifi, for focusing and aligning, is very slow (don't know why). I hope to speed this up with another Rock. For some reason, the Rock that I have, doesn't like two asi cameras at the same time. I use the camera Rock headless, and the desktop on the pi for phd guiding only.

Wim

Opticron Oregon 15*70, Skywatcher 150PDS + ST80, AZ-EQ6 GT + EQ3-2 Goto, ZWO ASI174MM-Cool + Pentax K20D (retired) + ZWO ASI120MM, homemade ditherbox, PixInsight, Raspberry Pi with INDI & PHD2, cloud cover

Indi on the rocks (a Rock64 to be exact) 5 months 3 weeks ago #24625

• wimvb
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
See attached image for details on my version of Ubuntu on the Rock
Attachments:

Wim

Indi on the rocks (a Rock64 to be exact) 5 months 2 weeks ago #24790

Interesting topic.
I'd be interested to know about power consumption, particularly in headless mode.
I currently use a Raspberry Pi 3 with some python scripts plus a 20Ah power bank for smartphones, and it lasts quite long (more than one night usually), but the transfer rate is painfully slow.
I also bought an Odroid XU4, but although in headless mode requires much less than the 4A declared on their homepage (seems to be around 1/2A) it still drains my power bank until the ASI camera starts disconnecting.

Would this rock64 be an improvement?

Indi on the rocks (a Rock64 to be exact) 5 months 2 weeks ago #24796

• wimvb
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
I can't really tell how much current it draws. I use mine with an ac adapter. My guess is that it draws about as much as the idroid. Current draw is (mainly) determined by speed of the processor, faster = more power hungry.

Wim

Indi on the rocks (a Rock64 to be exact) 5 months 1 week ago #24996

• maudy
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

rlancaste wrote: The script is in the latest version of AstroPi3 and is called installVideoDummyDriver.sh.

Thank you Rob... this file was perfect and resolve my VNC need!! My rock 64 just arrived and I am working on my own backup image now.

Cheers!

Indi on the rocks (a Rock64 to be exact) 5 months 6 days ago #25106

• maudy
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Not sure why but I have been having some trouble with the ubuntu image. Some weird things like the vnc dropping, or the last nano not running due to ELF error.

Found another source for image though, and so far seems stable. Only issues is changing the resolution, which I have not figured out how to do. It debian instead in case it matters (I do not know enough to care.)

I also had to use different x11vnc command to get it to work in a service file on both images: /usr/bin/x11vnc -geometry 1920x1200 -display :0 -norc -bg -forever -loop -noxdamage -repeat -rfbauth /etc/x11vnc.pass -rfbport 5900 -shared

You can see where I am playing with the resolution :)

Current image source I am using: www.armbian.com/rock64/

Thoughts on how to get the higher resolution like that used on Xenial?

Indi on the rocks (a Rock64 to be exact) 5 months 20 hours ago #25299

The higher the resolution, the more data you have to send over your network, the slower things refresh. I have chosen to use a smaller resolution, mostly because I monitor Ekos from my iPad mini.

Time to create page: 0.170 seconds

Login

3rd Party

Choose from the numerous 3rd party INDI drivers to suit your needs!

Got Problem?

Check out the FAQ, the forum, and the bug tracking system to resolve any issues you might have!
You can also subscribe to INDI newsletter and development mailing lists to get the latest updates on INDI!

Gallery

Replica

Why INDI

Replica