Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
25 Jul 2018
Glad to announce of release of INDI Library v1.7.4 on 2018-07-25. A few drivers were added in this release as we continue to improve & stabilize existing drivers.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC: My Raspberry Pi 3 Setup

My Raspberry Pi 3 Setup 6 months 3 weeks ago #22641

Dam! What dam were you on?
Anyhow, that is a pretty neat idea to put all of your electronics as a counterweight.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

My Raspberry Pi 3 Setup 6 months 3 weeks ago #22643

Well I'm living in Hong Kong. Me and my friends mostly heads to the dam at the east side which is a protected area that only allows public transport (e.g. taxi) to get in. Private cars are not allowed unless there's a permit. So every time we have to carry like 10-20kg of equipment and get on a taxi and then walk for 800m slope to get to the area. So we have to think of different ways to lower the weight of the equipment. We also have to think of how to set up as quick as possible as we do not have much clear time during the night.

My Raspberry Pi 3 Setup 6 months 3 weeks ago #22644

rlancaste wrote: Oh, somehow the dongle got left out of the links.

www.amazon.com/Adapter-Wireless-External...lation/dp/B00KV9TQXM

I don't know if this is the best wifi dongle, but it is the one I have been using.

For attaching the PI to the OTA, I use velcro.

Have tried this antenna in the field yet? Just wondering what the performance is like. Did you use any additional drivers or software or just plug it in and select it to handle wifi?

My Raspberry Pi 3 Setup 6 months 4 days ago #23246

rlancaste, very nice. I'm just getting started with Indi. Would you mind sharing some of your workflow and how you have it configured?
How do you connect to it? Where are images/video stored?
Thanks

My Raspberry Pi 3 Setup 6 months 4 days ago #23247

• rlancaste
  • rlancaste's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 339
No problem. I have my raspberry Pi strapped on the scope with Velcro along with my SBIG 8300M Camera, ZWO ASI 120 guide camera, Moonlite Focuser and my 6 inch telescope with ST 80 guide scope all on top of my Losmandy Gemini Mount. I currently have the telescopes dual mounted. I either set up the imaging rig in my driveway at home or in the field at a star party.

I configured the raspberry pi using the setup script that I developed. Feel free to use it:
github.com/rlancaste/AstroPi3

I connect to that Pi either over WIFI or direct ethernet from my MacBook Pro Laptop. I am using PHD2 on the PI to do my guiding via the ZWO camera and an ST4 cable to the auto guider port on the Losmandy Mount. I am using KStars on my Mac to control the imaging session and using the PHD2 support feature in KStars to control the guiding that is running on the PI. I save all images to my Mac in a folder that corresponds to the current date.

I don't use this setup for movies, just for imaging with my CCD. If I wanted to record movies of planets, transits, or eclipses, I would probably use my Canon 60D instead and use the 60 FPS video mode on the camera to record to the SD card.

Does that answer your questions?

Re:My Raspberry Pi 3 Setup 6 months 4 days ago #23260

rlancaste wrote:
I configured the raspberry pi using the setup script that I developed. Feel free to use it:

I connect to that Pi either over WIFI or direct ethernet from my MacBook Pro Laptop. I am using PHD2 on the PI to do my guiding via the ZWO camera and an ST4 cable to the auto guider port on the Losmandy Mount. I am using KStars on my Mac to control the imaging session and using the PHD2 support feature in KStars to control the guiding that is running on the PI. I save all images to my Mac in a folder that corresponds to the current date.

I don't use this setup for movies, just for imaging with my CCD. If I wanted to record movies of planets, transits, or eclipses, I would probably use my Canon 60D instead and use the 60 FPS video mode on the camera to record to the SD card.

Does that answer your questions?

Great and thank you. I realized after asking that you were the one that wrote Astropi3.

So far I’ve just been playing with the Indi drivers in Raspbian Stretch. Connecting via the Mac. Since I’m just getting started I wasn’t sure how the image location should be handled. I saved my test shots to my Mac, but it seemed slow over WiFi. I’m using an Edimax adapter and was in the same room as the router.

What would be a pro of using Ubuntu over Raspbian? Seems it would be more processor heavy than just the Indi drivers.

I have a Pine64 I got when it was in Kickstarter. Have never don’t anything with it and was thinking about using it since it has more ram. It’s not a Rock version. Any thoughts?

Travis

Re:My Raspberry Pi 3 Setup 2 months 3 weeks ago #26117

rlancaste wrote: I configured the raspberry pi using the setup script that I developed. Feel free to use it:

Hey man. Just getting around to trying this. I loaded Unbutu and your script. Very cool. Love the dashboard with the system stats!
I’ve got the same problem with this install that I have with Raspbian Stretch. Using the joystick control makes tracking stop. I’ve also been playing with Astroberry and that’s the only install that doesn’t seem to do this. Any suggestions?
Also, when viewing live video from my ASI224MC I see squares on the image. I’ve compared the settings and they look the same as Astroberry. Not sure what to adjust.
Any help is much appreciated.

Travis

Re:My Raspberry Pi 3 Setup 2 months 3 weeks ago #26118

• rlancaste
  • rlancaste's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 339
Hi Travis

I personally have not used the joystick, and have not looked into the code for that. To figure it out though, more information would be needed to track down the cause. Does this happen on just one mount or any mount? You can use the mount simulator or simulate a different mount that you don’t have by turning on the simulator in the driver settings. Does it happen right away or when you do certain things with the joystick? Does it turn off again if you turn tracking back on? Can you try getting a log file while the error is happening?

Thanks, Rob

Re:My Raspberry Pi 3 Setup 2 months 3 weeks ago #26131

rlancaste wrote: Hi Travis

Does this happen on just one mount or any mount? You can use the mount simulator or simulate a different mount that you don’t have by turning on the simulator in the driver settings. Does it happen right away or when you do certain things with the joystick? Does it turn off again if you turn tracking back on? Can you try getting a log file while the error is happening?

Thanks, Rob

Hey Rob.
I tired using the simulator and this does not happen. Which tells me that something is different with the INDI EQMOD drivers used by Astroberry than with AstroPi3 or from what I installed in Raspbian Stretch. Agree? Is there a way to tell what drivers are installed?

Tracking stops as soon as you use the joystick to slew the mount. In the simulator as soon as you stop using the joystick tracking resumes. I can see that in the log also.

I created a video showing these steps.
Using PI running AstroPi3 and Orion Sirius mount with joystick connected to pi
1. Launch Kstars
2. Connect to INDI Server
3. Track an object
4. Use Joystick to slew mount
5. Status goes to Idle and Tracking stops

Using PI running AstroPi3 and Telescope Simulator mount with joystick connected to pi
1. Connect to INDI Server
2. Track an object
3. Use Joystick to slew mount
4. Status returns to tracking

The video and log is on this dropbox link.
www.dropbox.com/sh/ojff60f7scvuh87/AAAGL...pOSFA1wfX43So3a?dl=0

Travis

Last Edit: by uzelessknowledge.

Re:My Raspberry Pi 3 Setup 2 months 3 weeks ago #26134

Rob, after looking some more I noticed that in Indi control panel the driver info on Astroberry shows 0.3 and on Astropi3 it shows 0.4, for EQMod.
Looks like the ZWO driver is older on Astroberry too. I wonder if that is why I'm not seeing the bayer mask squares. I think I'd like to use your image, AstroPi3, because it seems a little faster, but need to resolve these things.
Is there a way to install the older driver?
Travis

Re:My Raspberry Pi 3 Setup 2 months 3 weeks ago #26138

Ah ha. Found another person reporting the same thing. I confirmed what he said. If you use the Mount Control to skew and then joystick it will reengage tracking.

A couple issues on my last session.
r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=19604...%3D3394&share_type=t

Now just to figure out why I can see the Bayer mask. Still scratching my head on that one.
Also, can’t figure out why video is black and white and images are color.

Travis

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.180 seconds

Login

3rd Party

Choose from the numerous 3rd party INDI drivers to suit your needs!

Got Problem?

Check out the FAQ, the forum, and the bug tracking system to resolve any issues you might have!
You can also subscribe to INDI newsletter and development mailing lists to get the latest updates on INDI!

Gallery

Replica

Why INDI

Replica