Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
20 Aug 2017
INDI development team is happy to announce the release of INDI Library v1.5.0. This new exciting release builds on the maturity of INDI Library and comes with many new supported devices and fixes for existing drivers.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC: GPSD altitude

GPSD altitude 1 week 2 days ago #20897

Hello,

I'm playing with "gps" on my raspberry pi and compare data from cgps or xgps and Ekos.

Curiuosly, there is an error between altitude displayed within ekos. Please watch screenshots in attachment.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Kubuntu 16.04 with KDE Plasma 5.5.5 using PPA for latest KStars-bleeding and INDI
Raspberry Pi 2 with Ubuntu Mate
Atik 314E - QHY5 - CG5

GPSD altitude 1 week 1 day ago #20902

Not only that but your longitude is also wrong, INDI does not have negative longitude it is 0 to 360 E+. Let me check the driver.

Jasem Mutlaq
Support INDI & Ekos; Get StellarMate Astrophotography Gadget.
How to Submit Logs when you have problems?

GPSD altitude 1 week 1 day ago #20905

Ok so longitude is fixed, but somehow I don't understand how this was missed?? Maybe the math works out eventually but it is technically wrong as far as INDI longitude definition goes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: broadcastyourseb, Kaczorek

Jasem Mutlaq

GPS driver troubleshooting 1 week 1 day ago #20921

File Attachment:

File Name: log_21-42-18.txt
File Size: 230 KB
Thank you Jasem. I made an update of ppa but longitude is always negative. I think, I have to wait the next build.
Did you find something wrong for the altitude ?

Just for fun, I tried to play with NMEA gps driver and it crashes on my system (on a remote raspberry and on my linux mint local machine) and sometimes it crashes kstars.

PS : I renamed the topic. This is now a general topic about GPS drivers troubleshooting ;)

I'm sick and tired. Time to go to bed and take some rest. :sick:

File Attachment:

File Name: log_21-42-18.txt
File Size: 230 KB
Attachments:

Kubuntu 16.04 with KDE Plasma 5.5.5 using PPA for latest KStars-bleeding and INDI
Atik 314E - QHY5 - CG5
Last Edit: by broadcastyourseb. Reason: adding log file

GPS driver troubleshooting 1 week 14 hours ago #20932

PPA is not yet updated, it gets updated at 12:00 UTC everyday. Get well soon!

Jasem Mutlaq

GPS driver troubleshooting 1 week 5 hours ago #20941

Ok, PPA update done. As you can see, longitude is correct and kstars is well sync to the geographic coordinate of my gps device.

But there is always a difference in the altitude or elevation value as you can see in the screenshot

indi_gpsnmea is always crashing (KStars detected INDI driver indi_gpsnmea crashed. Please check INDI server log in the Device Manager.)

Sébastien.
Attachments:

Atik 314E - QHY5 - CG5

GPS driver troubleshooting 6 days 22 hours ago #20952

So for now, I think I found a third bug.

First : altitude with GPSD as reported earlier
Second : total crash of GPS NMEA driver. Memory issue ? https://pastebin.com/AZM60kZj

And new and last one. Using a GPS, a computer and my CG5 mount (NexStar driver) :
- Case 1, you sync device to computer then GPS will sync location and time in kstars but not for the mount
- Case 2, you sync computer to device then computer will sync location and time of the mount but this is not the GPS time and location

Atik 314E - QHY5 - CG5

GPS driver troubleshooting 6 days 11 hours ago #20965

1. Altitude, not sure what the problem is.
2. Most likely some build issue, wait for a newer build tomorrow.
3. Cannot reproduce. When I update source to "Device", then both KStars & the mount are updated to the GPS. I just tested this with NMEA and it worked. I started KStars with a different time then connected to mount while GPS NMEA driver was off. Then connected INDI GPS NMEA driver and it updated _both_ KStars and the mount. Maybe your mount controller does not support setting of time?

Jasem Mutlaq

GPS driver troubleshooting 6 days 1 hour ago #20978

Hi Jasem,

I'm flying from bug to bug. Maybe it's time to open official bug reports :woohoo:
1. If altitude is read in the nmea line why altitude in indi gpsd driver is different from command line gps tool (at the same time)
2. 2 updates of gpsnmea later, the driver is still crashing. I think it's more than a build issue.
3. This is really weird. My mount is a Celestron CG5 and support time and location but GPS sync only Kstars, not my mount. This is the case only when I sync PC to device.
4. And the new one : when sync my CG5, the longitude is set to 0.0000E. Maybe, my mount doesn't like the 0 - 360° format of indi for longitude. Latitude and time are fine.

Atik 314E - QHY5 - CG5

GPS driver troubleshooting 5 days 16 hours ago #20987

One question for you. In the kstars preferences/settings under indi, do you have it selected to sync from the mount to the computer or the computer to the mount? Try setting it to sync the time and location from the computer and see if that works better. I have seen a similar issue to your #3 and #4 when that setting is backwards.

GPS driver troubleshooting 5 days 14 hours ago #20988

There is another update for Celestron GPS. So it used to work as following:

1. Parking: Convert Parking Az/Alt to RA/DE, Slew to RA/DE, once slew is done, Track OFF, hibernate.
2. Unparking: Load Parking Az/Alt, convert to RA/DE, Sync mount to RA/DE, set Track to saved config value.

Wakeup want sent during Connect if Hibernate option was set to ENABLED. However, if mount is _already_ unparked (and there already awake), it also get sent a wakeup command which might lead to issue. Also, I'm not really sure if the Sync to RA/DE in Unpark command above is necessarily since in principle the mount should report whatever position it was hibernated to last. Yesterday, I made changes to reflect the following:

1. Parking: Go to Alt/Az via Celestron Alt/Az GOTO. Once done, Track OFF, then hibernate.
2. Unpark: Set Track to config value.
When connecting to the mount, it check if the mount is Parked. If it is parked & hibernate option is set to ENABLED, _then_ and only then it will issue wakeup. I'm not sure if any of this works, hopefully I will gain access to a Celestron mount soon to verify.

Jasem Mutlaq

GPSD altitude 1 day 13 hours ago #21217

• Kaczorek
  • Away
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 135

knro wrote: Ok so longitude is fixed, but somehow I don't understand how this was missed?? Maybe the math works out eventually but it is technically wrong as far as INDI longitude definition goes.

Longitude constraint has been missed somehow... As for altitude I cannot reproduce it. The value is read directly from fix.altitude, which is apparently the same source for gpsmon/cgps/xgps.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.423 seconds

Login

3rd Party

Choose from the numerous 3rd party INDI drivers to suit your needs!

Got Problem?

Check out the FAQ, the forum, and the bug tracking system to resolve any issues you might have!
You can also subscribe to INDI newsletter and development mailing lists to get the latest updates on INDI!

Gallery

Replica

Why INDI

Replica