Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
08 Apr 2018
INDI development team is happy to announce the release of INDI Library v1.7.0. This new exciting release builds on the maturity of INDI Library and comes with many new supported devices and fixes for existing drivers.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC: Best, fastest way to save images...

Best, fastest way to save images... 1 month 3 weeks ago #24741

I have an rpi3 with indiserver installed and control it remotely from a seperate Linux PC connected via network cable, so when imaging is it best to save the images to the rpi3 or to the client laptop, just wondered if sending the images down the network cable to my laptop was best or slower, and would it use up valuable resources..?
Thanks in advance.. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Best, fastest way to save images... 1 month 3 weeks ago #24744

Via the network is faster than via WIFI. However, saving the images on an USB stick en then copying to your laptop maybe even faster, depending on your network cable and USB stick.
The following user(s) said Thank You: AstroNerd

Modded Canon EOS 700D with a WO ZS 71 ED on a SW HEQ5-Pro

Best, fastest way to save images... 1 month 3 weeks ago #24750

What about saving directly to the rpi3, as my camera is an older SX one, that only produces 15mb image files...
The following user(s) said Thank You: El Corazon

Best, fastest way to save images... 1 month 3 weeks ago #24751

I always save directly to the Pi3. Just make sure you use either an external 2.5" HD or SSD or a fast microSD card internally. Class10 is not sufficient. The card must be able to handle 4K video, then it should be alright. And then download the entire night's set of exposures in the morning via the network when speed no longer is that important

Last Edit: by El Corazon.

Re:Best, fastest way to save images... 1 month 3 weeks ago #24757

Depends a bit what you find most important. While downloading to laptop the system does nothing else. So if you want the fastest workflow, keep them on the rpi3. Problem is that you can’t see any of the images taken, so you can’t check whether all is ok.
Alternative that I have been using and works well, is keep them on the rpi3 and download them through ftp whenever you want to look at them. That download does not interfere with acquisition, and speed is not too critical.
It then becomes a bit of a trade-off between acquisition speed and image control. For flats you probably want the first, for 3 min exposures you may accept a 5-10sec download and see directly what’s happening.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.113 seconds

Login

3rd Party

Choose from the numerous 3rd party INDI drivers to suit your needs!

Got Problem?

Check out the FAQ, the forum, and the bug tracking system to resolve any issues you might have!
You can also subscribe to INDI newsletter and development mailing lists to get the latest updates on INDI!

Gallery

Replica

Why INDI

Replica