Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
25 Jul 2018
Glad to announce of release of INDI Library v1.7.4 on 2018-07-25. A few drivers were added in this release as we continue to improve & stabilize existing drivers.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC: Indi on AAEON UP

Indi on AAEON UP 1 month 3 weeks ago #26714

• kengs
  • kengs's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 19
Is anyone using Indi on an AAEON UP? I'm interested in an x86 device with USB3 and this looks like a good option - as long as it works.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Ubuntu 16.04 AMD64 VM, RPi3 Ubuntu Mate 16.04, Windows 10 AMD64, Ubuntu 16.04 AAEON UP Core
Avalon M-Uno, EQ6 Pro, Atik420, ASI1600MM-C, ASI120MM-S, DBK21AU04, ZWO EFW, Optec TCFSi
Vixen R150S, GSO RC8, ST80

Indi on AAEON UP 1 month 1 week ago #27052

• kengs
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Noone? So I bit the bullet and ordered the AAEON-UP Core with 4Gb memory and 64GB eMMC www.up-board.org/upcore/
No real problems setting it up but some things to watch for:
It needs a 5V power supply and up to 4A capacity through a standard 5.5/2.1mm barrel plug.
If you want the two USB2 ports you need the 10pin to 2xUSB2 adapter cable . Otherwise there is just the one USB3 port.
The onboard wifi does not work by default. You need to install the drivers first. So to do that you need some other sort of network connection via USB.
Also the wifi module has no antenna so it has a very short range. I've ordered an external antenna with UFL connector. In the meantime I just sit it right next to the access point.. Alternatively I can use an external Wifi dongle till I get the antenna.
Bluetooth is also not enabled by default. Took a bit of trial and error to get it working.
Apart from the above it all installed pretty easily and is noticeably faster than the Pi3. I've installed indi-full and phd2 on it so next step is to test as an indi server. In particular I want to see how it goes with the ASI1600 over USB3
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gilles

Ubuntu 16.04 AMD64 VM, RPi3 Ubuntu Mate 16.04, Windows 10 AMD64, Ubuntu 16.04 AAEON UP Core
Avalon M-Uno, EQ6 Pro, Atik420, ASI1600MM-C, ASI120MM-S, DBK21AU04, ZWO EFW, Optec TCFSi

Indi on AAEON UP 1 month 1 week ago #27064

• kengs
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Connected to UP to a powered USB3 hub with all devices connected through that via an active USB3 cable and running headless through x11VNC. Everything seems to connect EXCEPT the ASI120MM-S. For some reason it isn't showing up in lsusb.
It does show up on my Windows 10 machine when the active cable is connected to a USB2 port , and in turn on the Ubuntu VM on that machine. The USB3 port on the Windows machine always seemed a bit flakey, which is why I connect through USB2. But now I suspect the active cable as the culprit.

Indi on AAEON UP 1 month 1 week ago #27072

They are quite a lot of Raspberry Pi style board out there now.

Kstars Mac osx
Odroid C1 running indiserver (kept up-to-date with apt-get update/upgrade)
HEQ5 pro / Atik titan / Atik 314L+

Indi on AAEON UP 1 month 1 week ago #27085

• kengs
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Indeed there are. The trick was to find one with a USB3 port and which is x86 based. I've got one camera whose Linux driver is only available on x86 and I'd like to operate the ASI1600 on USB3.

Indi on AAEON UP 1 month 1 week ago #27112

• kengs
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Tonight I connected the Active USB3 cable via a USB2 hub to the UP and now everything connects. This adds credence to my hypothesis that it is the Active cable at fault. That wont be a problem once I mount the UP on the scope. But until then I wont be able to test how well the USB3 works. Nevertheless, saving a test image to the eMMC drive was much faster than on my desktop - even using just USB2. A couple of small decisions to make regarding the overall setup as to: whether to use a Pi3 to control mount, guide cam and PHD2 or load it all onto the UP or run PHD2 on the client. At present I'm leaning towards everything on the UP as it seems to have more than enough capacity.. And should I capture images to the eMMC drive or to a removable USB stick so its quicker to transfer to the desktop for processing. And thirdly - how to arrange the network.
What I can say so far is that the AAEON UP has been a breeze to set up. Somewhat easier than the Pi3 in main due to being able to use regular Ubuntu instead of Mate. So far I've only installed Ubuntu 16.04 as that is what the instructions said to use.
The following user(s) said Thank You: knro, Gilles

Indi on AAEON UP 1 week 1 day ago #28329

• kengs
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Everything is set up now.Got the external antenna and also fitted a UBEC to convert 12V down to 5V then fitted it all inside a plastic box mounted on the scope. Haven't had a clear night for testing yet so I've been bench testing. Running the Aaeon headless has been pretty trouble free. I'd always found the Pi a bit flakey on Wifi connection and slow to boot up. But the Aaeon with the external antenna gets a good Wifi signal and comes up fast so you don't have to keep trying for a connection.
Downloading images across the network is SLLLOOOOWWWW but that is probably a function of my ancient home wifi network I think. Saving images to the eMMC is FAST - 32Mb in the blink of an eye so I've set up Ekos to save only to local. For plate solving, focussing and previewing I'm wondering if I can set up the camera to transfer compressed images then switch back to RAW for imaging - something to try next.
All devices work although I'd like to do some work on the TCFS driver. For now I'm running PHD2 on the Aaeon to minimise any latency - mostly with transferring guide images across the network.
Buoyed by success I then set up the Raspberry Pi to run only the mount and thereby eliminate all but the power cable spanning the RA and Dec axes. It became even flakier on Wifi and would only get a connection when the Aaeon was powered off. So I plugged in a Wifi dongle and that solved that problem. Its unfortunate the Pi does not have a connection point for an external antenna as I suspect that was the problem. I know it can be hacked but I prefer not to mess around with the board in that way.
All I need now ifs a clear night for a proper test
The following user(s) said Thank You: knro

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.130 seconds

Login

3rd Party

Choose from the numerous 3rd party INDI drivers to suit your needs!

Got Problem?

Check out the FAQ, the forum, and the bug tracking system to resolve any issues you might have!
You can also subscribe to INDI newsletter and development mailing lists to get the latest updates on INDI!

Gallery

Replica

Why INDI

Replica