INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Trutech filter wheel lost

• Thank you received: 1
Hello everyone.
After updating my system to Ubuntu 16.04, and also updating Kstars and indi, my Trutech filter wheel does not appear anymore.
Seeing the specifications for the new version of indi 1.4.0, this appears:
+ Legacy drivers removed: SkyCommander, Intelliscope, MagellanI, TruTech, SBIG STV

Have we lost the ability to handle Trutech filter wheels?

regards
Carlos
7 years 2 weeks ago #15039

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hi Carlos,

The drivers were old and had to be removed. However, NOW that we have someone to test the actual hardware, I'll port it to the new system and ask you to test it again in a few days. Sounds good?
7 years 2 weeks ago #15048

Replied by Carlos on topic Trutech filter wheel lost

Hello Jasem.
No problem, I can try the driver, although my filter wheel is not original Trutech, build it and program myself with the Trutech protocol.
My Indi system is still not very stable, but the filter wheel worked with previous versions with some problem, if I remember correctly, I lost the configuration of the filters from one session to another, but it worked.

Thank you for your great work.
Carlos
7 years 2 weeks ago #15049

I re-implemented TruTech wheel, should be in PPA tomorrow. But even the old one just issued filter wheel slot command and that's all. Is there a way to check for the position of the current wheel?
7 years 2 weeks ago #15117

Hi Jasem.
As soon as I update it, I test the driver.
I do not remember well, I've been with this project parked for a while, I've picked it up now that I have a PI3, but I think it updated the filter position.
I try and tell you.

Thank you very much
Carlos
7 years 2 weeks ago #15121

Hi Jasem.
I have been testing the driver for the Trutek filter wheel and it has some problems.

It does everything correctly, the wheel goes to the home position when you ask it and correctly changes the filter.
The problem, as you mentioned, is that the driver only sends commands, but does not interpret what the wheel sends, or rather, it assumes that the wheel does what the driver asks for it immediately, which, when You make series of photos by changing the filter between shots, the CCD starts capturing before the filter has finished positioning.

On the other hand, the current driver, is limited to 5 filters, but there are Trutek wheels of between 5 and 8 filters, and for example, I use one of 7 filters, in the old driver this could be selected

The truth is that the protocol used by the Trutek wheel, is very simple, I have a very easy summary done that I can send you if you want to see it.
I program it in the microcontroller I made for my wheel in Bascom (basic for AVR), but unfortunately I do not have any knowledge of the programming language that you use for the drivers.

Anything I can help, please tell me

Thank you so much for your great work.

Carlos
7 years 1 week ago #15186

Yes please list the protocol or link to it.
7 years 1 week ago #15188

Hello again Jasem, this is the communication protocol:

Any communication, either from the computer to the wheel, or from the wheel to the computer, begins with a code A5h

There are three groups of commands:

-Reset and wheel type identification.
The computer sends a code A5h, a code 03h followed by a code of filling 20h and the checksum in 8 bit of the three codes above.
The wheel is positioned in "Home", and sends to the computer A5h, 83h, and the wheel type, which can be 5, 6, 7 or 8 filters, to which codes correspond 35h to 38h in addition the checksum in 8 Bit of the three codes

-Positioning a new filter
The computer sends a code A5h, a code 01h followed by a code with the chosen filter number, from 01h to 08h (depending on the number of filters that the wheel has) and the checksum in 8 bit of the three previous codes.
After the wheel is positioned in the chosen filter, it sends the computer A5h, 81h, and the filter in which it has just been positioned, to which codes 01h to 08h correspond, in addition the checksum in 8 bit of the three previous codes.

-Wheel status
The computer sends a code A5h, a code 02h followed by a fill code 20h and the checksum in 8 bit of the three previous codes.
The wheel responds to the computer A5h, 82h, and the filter in which it is positioned, to which codes 31h to 38h correspond to the filters 1 to 8, or the code 30h indicating to the computer that is moving, or codes 41h to 48h to indicate that it could not be positioned in these filter positions and that there is an error, in addition sends the checksum in 8 bit of the three previous codes.

This communication protocol was posted on the Trutek website

That is all, in my opinion is a fairly easy protocol.
For any questions I can help you, please tell me.
Thank you very much.

Carlos
The following user(s) said Thank You: Peter
7 years 1 week ago #15206

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Peter on topic Trutech filter wheel lost

Nice comment about the feedback from the fw not being used. I suppose this is why ekos takes an image as soon as the fw comand is issued, even if fw still in motion. I have a truetech wheel and would like to test new version of driver from a command line script. More later if I get anywhere.
6 years 8 months ago #17900

• Thank you received: 174
Hi, I reimplemented implemented the driver with INDIGO framework including reading feedback from the driver. Is somebody willing to help with testing? :)

I can make binaries for any Linux or macOS system.

Thank you very much, Peter

github.com/indigo-astronomy/indigo/tree/...drivers/wheel_trutek
5 years 7 months ago #28720

Time to create page: 0.735 seconds