INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Astroberry Focuser with Adafruit Motor HAT

• Thank you received: 226
Fantastic! Everything appears to move as expected now. Thank you very much Radek.
For a final tweak, I suggest setting the stepper mode to Double by default in the code. The added torque is useful to avoid skipped steps. And finally to update Astrobery Server with this version.
And with that it appears we have two mature focus drivers for the Raspberry Pi people can choose from. For the Adafruit Motor HAT, and Piface Digital driver boards.
Amazing work.
6 years 5 months ago #20001

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 375
I'm glad it works for you. Now the default stepper mode has been set to DOUBLE. Update your sources and have fun ;-)
I will add the latest version to Astroberry Server next release.
6 years 5 months ago #20009

• Thank you received: 1
I compiled and installed the Adafruit Motor HAT driver. So far so good. I run the Raspberry Pi as remote INDI server. I run the KStars/Ekos client on Windows 10 on my desktop. But the "Motor HAT Focuser" is not showing in the list of focusers in the KStars Profile Editor, so I can not add it to my profile.
I checked that the .xml file is in the /usr/share/indi folder and it is.

Any suggestions?
Windows 10 64-bit with remote access to Embedded Raspberry PI 3 with Ubuntu Mate 16.04.3 LTS and KStars 2.9.8, Skywatcher HEQ5 PRO, Robtics 80mm F7 doublet apochromaat refractor + CentralDS CDS-600DII
6 years 4 months ago #20753

berendj:
Place the executable in /usr/bin, not in /usr/local/bin
6 years 4 months ago #20754

• Thank you received: 1
Thanks for that suggestion Ihoujin.
I moved the file, but it still does not show in the profile editor. (see attachment)
When i open the Web Manager in my browser, the Motor HAT Focuser does show in the drivers select box in the focuser group and is select-able.

I installed KStars/Ekos also on the Raspberry PI itself, but the result is the same.

Lost this battle, but hope to win the war.
Windows 10 64-bit with remote access to Embedded Raspberry PI 3 with Ubuntu Mate 16.04.3 LTS and KStars 2.9.8, Skywatcher HEQ5 PRO, Robtics 80mm F7 doublet apochromaat refractor + CentralDS CDS-600DII
6 years 4 months ago #20757
Attachments:

It works over webmanager because the xml file does exist on the machine the webmanager is running on.
But it doesn't exist on the macine you are running KStars/Ekos on. Probably you need to copy it to your windows machine. Just find the place where all the other driver's xml files are, and copy it there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BJ Ruiterkamp
6 years 4 months ago #20758

I just found that it is possible to increase the I2C baudrate. By default, it is set to only 100KHz. But by increasing it the PPS (pulse per second) signal that dictates to the motor controller how fast to run, can be set to operate at much higher speeds. I experimented up to 2MHz, and settled on 1.5MHz for safety buffer. The end result is I can now drive my stepper motor much faster and effectively implement microstepping, which before would absolutely crawl. With microstepping I get the added benefit of quieter and smoother operation.

To implement this, to /boot/config.txt
dtparam=i2c_baudrate=1500000
For example that will set the frequency to 1.5MHz. And 400000 would be 400KHz.

To verify i2c speed
sudo cat /sys/module/i2c_bcm2708/parameters/baudrate
OR
dmesg
And locate a this related line
bcm2708_i2c 3f804000.i2c: BSC1 Controller at 0x3f804000 (irq 83) (baudrate 1500000)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Radek Kaczorek
Last edit: 6 years 1 day ago by Andrew.
6 years 1 month ago #23587

• Thank you received: 2
Hi,

I'm a newbie trying to set up my new RPi 3 B+ as an Indi server using the Astroberry Adafruit Motor HAT driver. I've followed the GitHub instructions however I'm having trouble compiling.

I'm getting the following errors:
Scanning dependencies of target indi_amh_focuser
[ 90%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/indi_amh_focuser.dir/amh_focuser.o
/home/steve/astroberry-amh/amh_focuser.cpp: In constructor ‘IndiAMHFocuser::IndiAMHFocuser()’:
/home/steve/astroberry-amh/amh_focuser.cpp:79:38: error: ‘setFocuserConnection’ was not declared in this scope
  setFocuserConnection(CONNECTION_NONE);
                                      ^
/home/steve/astroberry-amh/amh_focuser.cpp: In member function ‘virtual bool IndiAMHFocuser::initProperties()’:
/home/steve/astroberry-amh/amh_focuser.cpp:161:66: error: ‘SetFocuserCapability’ was not declared in this scope
  SetFocuserCapability(FOCUSER_CAN_ABS_MOVE | FOCUSER_CAN_REL_MOVE);
                                                                  ^
CMakeFiles/indi_amh_focuser.dir/build.make:62: recipe for target 'CMakeFiles/indi_amh_focuser.dir/amh_focuser.o' failed
make[2]: *** [CMakeFiles/indi_amh_focuser.dir/amh_focuser.o] Error 1
CMakeFiles/Makefile2:104: recipe for target 'CMakeFiles/indi_amh_focuser.dir/all' failed
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/indi_amh_focuser.dir/all] Error 2
Makefile:127: recipe for target 'all' failed
make: *** [all] Error 2

Any thoughts regarding what the problem might be?

Regards,

Steve
5 years 11 months ago #25382

Hi,

I'm a newbie trying to set up a RPi 3 B+ with Ubuntu-MATE Indi server using the Astroberry AMH Focuser driver and I'm getting the following error when compiling:
Scanning dependencies of target indi_amh_focuser
[ 90%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/indi_amh_focuser.dir/amh_focuser.o
/home/steve/astroberry-amh/amh_focuser.cpp: In constructor ‘IndiAMHFocuser::IndiAMHFocuser()’:
/home/steve/astroberry-amh/amh_focuser.cpp:79:38: error: ‘setFocuserConnection’ was not declared in this scope
  setFocuserConnection(CONNECTION_NONE);
                                      ^
/home/steve/astroberry-amh/amh_focuser.cpp: In member function ‘virtual bool IndiAMHFocuser::initProperties()’:
/home/steve/astroberry-amh/amh_focuser.cpp:161:66: error: ‘SetFocuserCapability’ was not declared in this scope
  SetFocuserCapability(FOCUSER_CAN_ABS_MOVE | FOCUSER_CAN_REL_MOVE);
                                                                  ^
CMakeFiles/indi_amh_focuser.dir/build.make:62: recipe for target 'CMakeFiles/indi_amh_focuser.dir/amh_focuser.o' failed
make[2]: *** [CMakeFiles/indi_amh_focuser.dir/amh_focuser.o] Error 1
CMakeFiles/Makefile2:104: recipe for target 'CMakeFiles/indi_amh_focuser.dir/all' failed
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/indi_amh_focuser.dir/all] Error 2

Any thoughts regarding what's missing here?

Regards,

Steve
5 years 11 months ago #25384

Apologies for double post. My first post didn't appear and I wasn't sure why. I noticed after the second post that my posts were being moderated before being posted.
5 years 11 months ago #25465

The issue has been hotfixed in the last commit. Please redownload the code and recompile.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Steve
5 years 11 months ago #25475

Thanks Radek!

I can compile but I'm getting this error now when I "make install":
steve@SmackAstroRPi:~/astroberry-amh/build$ sudo make install
[ 10%] Performing update step for 'libAdafruitStepperMotorHAT'
Current branch master is up to date.
No stash found.
No stash found.
No stash found.
CMake Error at /home/steve/astroberry-amh/build/libs/AdafruitStepperMotorHAT_CPP/tmp/libAdafruitStepperMotorHAT-gitupdate.cmake:136 (message):

Failed to unstash changes in:
  '/home/steve/astroberry-amh/libs/AdafruitStepperMotorHAT_CPP/'.

You will have to resolve the conflicts manually

CMakeFiles/libAdafruitStepperMotorHAT.dir/build.make:94: recipe for target 'libs/AdafruitStepperMotorHAT_CPP/src/libAdafruitStepperMotorHAT-stamp/libAdafruitStepperMotorHAT-update' failed
make[2]: *** [libs/AdafruitStepperMotorHAT_CPP/src/libAdafruitStepperMotorHAT-stamp/libAdafruitStepperMotorHAT-update] Error 1
CMakeFiles/Makefile2:67: recipe for target 'CMakeFiles/libAdafruitStepperMotorHAT.dir/all' failed
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/libAdafruitStepperMotorHAT.dir/all] Error 2

Apologies for my cluelessness.
5 years 11 months ago #25517

Time to create page: 1.098 seconds