INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Trouble Connecting ZWO/ASI EFW Wheel

• Thank you received: 0
I am having trouble getting my ZWO/ASI EFW Filter Wheel to be recognized by INDI within Ekos and was looking for some help.

I've reviewed several threads on this forum. The closest thread to my issue is this one:
indilib.org/forum/focusers-filter-wheels...-wheel.html?start=60

The main difference however is that I'm not able to see the EFW at all in INDI - it never appears on my list of connectable devices.

I've also followed the advice from ZWO (astronomy-imaging-camera.com/manuals/EFW...Linux%20OSX%20EN.pdf) related to the above thread where the problem stems from group privs on the device.

At first, I had other devices connected (and operating normally): Celestron Nexstar (CGEM), ATIK 314L CCD, ZWO/ASI 120MM (guide camera), and Moonlite Focuser. After extended time trying to sort this out at the telescope over a few nights, I moved indoors and setup using a simulated telescope, simulated CCD, and the ASI filter wheel.

The EFW appears to connect to my RPi, but INDI isn't able to see it for some reason.
matted@AstroShed:/dev/bus/usb/001$ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 006: ID 046d:c315 Logitech, Inc. Classic Keyboard 200
Bus 001 Device 008: ID 03c3:1f01  
Bus 001 Device 007: ID 046d:c01a Logitech, Inc. M-BQ85 Optical Wheel Mouse
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0424:ec00 Standard Microsystems Corp. SMSC9512/9514 Fast Ethernet Adapter
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0424:9514 Standard Microsystems Corp. SMC9514 Hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
idVendor           0x03c3 
  idProduct          0x1f01 
  bcdDevice            0.00
  iManufacturer           1 ZW0
  iProduct                2 ZWO EFW
matted@AstroShed:/lib/udev/rules.d$ dmesg | grep EFW
[    2.181425] usb 1-1.4: Product: ZWO EFW
[    2.186122] hid-generic 0003:03C3:1F01.0002: hiddev0,hidraw1: USB HID v1.01 Device [ZW0 ZWO EFW] on usb-3f980000.usb-1.4/input0
[76509.946701] usb 1-1.4: Product: ZWO EFW
[76509.956678] hid-generic 0003:03C3:1F01.0005: hiddev0,hidraw1: USB HID v1.01 Device [ZW0 ZWO EFW] on usb-3f980000.usb-1.4/input0
matted@AstroShed:/dev/bus/usb/001$ ls -la
total 0
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root     160 Jun 18 13:12 .
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root      60 Dec 31  1969 ..
crw-rw-r-- 1 root root  189, 0 Jun 17 15:57 001
crw-rw-r-- 1 root root  189, 1 Jun 17 15:57 002
crw-rw-r-- 1 root root  189, 2 Jun 17 15:57 003
crw-rw-r-- 1 root root  189, 5 Jun 17 15:57 006
crw-rw-r-- 1 root root  189, 6 Jun 18 13:12 007
crw-rw-rw- 1 root users 189, 7 Jun 18 13:19 008

I've checked the udev/ruled.d/ file 99-efw.rules
# FILTER WHEELS
ACTION=="add", ATTRS{idVendor}=="03c3", ATTRS{idProduct}=="1f01", GROUP="users", MODE="0666"

The indi_asi_wheel driver appears to work from the command line.
matted@AstroShed:/lib/udev/rules.d$ indiserver -v indi_asi_wheel
2017-06-18T17:35:22: startup: indiserver -v indi_asi_wheel 
2017-06-18T17:35:22: Driver indi_asi_wheel: pid=19041 rfd=3 wfd=6 efd=7
2017-06-18T17:35:22: listening to port 7624 on fd 4

I've run (repeatedly) sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get upgrade, so I have the latest drivers. I've also tried reinstalling kstars.

I'll add that I also ran kstars as root (sudo kstars) and had the same problem, so I do not think it's permission related.

I'm running Ubuntu 16.04 on my Rpi3. I've attached the KStars log. I cannot create an INDI log for the EFW!

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Matt
C11 on CGEM, ATIK314L+, ASI120MM on ST80 for guiding, motorized Moonlite focuser, ZWO EFW with Ha, OIII, and SII and Lum, all connected to RPi 3 with Kstars/Ekos/Indi
6 years 9 months ago #17329

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 11
Are you using KStars install from Ubuntu repo or from the PPA? The latter being the suggested source. If you're sing a single RPi I presume you are using a power USB hub (this can work wonders).

I use the EFW7 and an ASI120MM with my ASI1600MM-C. The EFW and ASI120MM use short USB cables, both into the ASI1600MM-C hub which in turn uses a single USB cable into my RPi3.

I'm not sure if you can use the indi_asi_wheel driver for the EFW with a simulated camera, I could be wrong.

Have you tried the EFW Initialization Tool found under the SDK Tab of the Software page. I'm not sure what it does but maybe it will help.

[url=https://astronomy-imaging-camera.com/software/[/url]
Skywatcher 190MN - EQ6 Pro (with Belt Mod) - ASI1600MM-Cooled - ASI EFW7 - ASI120MM - WO f4 Guide Scope - Rigel nStep - KStars/Ekos - KDE - PixInsight
6 years 9 months ago #17333

• Thank you received: 24
The only way I have gotten my RPI3 with Ubuntu-mate, ASI EFW, ASI1600 and ASI224 to connect with Kstars/indi/Ekos is, unfortunately, running the indi server as the root user.

If this quick test works for you, you can automate it with the indi-web server service launched as a root user.

Not sure if this helps. I can provide more details tonight if you like.

I have an email into ZWO on this. ZWO reports using Jessie instead of Ubuntu-mate everything works. Unfortunately Jessie does not use the PPA. Over the summer I hope to test Jessie to see if there is difference.
6 years 9 months ago #17335

I would definitely like some guidance on running INDI as root or via command line to test (I've only run INDI via Ekos's visual interface). Perhaps this is important, but I currently only run INDI locally on the RPi I was able to run kstars as root, but not sure if that means ekos and then indi are run as root as I click through the interface. I can say that did not resolve the issue.

I've installed everything through command line:
sudo apt-get install libindi1
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mutlaqja/ppa
sudo apt-get install kstars-bleeding

I do have a powered hub when I have everything running in the field or driveway, but for right now have the EFW plugged directly into the RPi.

As for the initialization tool - I'm not seeing a good way to run it under linux. It has a driver for mac (java) as well as various windows executables.

I'll also add that I know my way around linux, but perhaps just a little bit above the average novice..

Thanks for the help so far!!
-Matt
C11 on CGEM, ATIK314L+, ASI120MM on ST80 for guiding, motorized Moonlite focuser, ZWO EFW with Ha, OIII, and SII and Lum, all connected to RPi 3 with Kstars/Ekos/Indi
6 years 9 months ago #17339

• Thank you received: 11
Add

sudo apt-get indi-full
sudo apt-get gsc
Skywatcher 190MN - EQ6 Pro (with Belt Mod) - ASI1600MM-Cooled - ASI EFW7 - ASI120MM - WO f4 Guide Scope - Rigel nStep - KStars/Ekos - KDE - PixInsight
6 years 9 months ago #17340

I've got those too :). Sorry I missed those in my reply - forgot about them.

I have INDI working for everything except the EFW. I've been running Kstars for several months, but added the EFW and motorized my Moonlite last week... and that is when trouble began.
6 years 9 months ago #17344

After reviewing your original post, you indicated you tried running Kstars as root and it did not help.

Please help me understand your setup more.

As an example, my setup is detailed below and the key points are the running of indiserver as root, and the uses of remote host with INDI web service checked. Doing anything other either the ASI224 is not detected/loaded or the EFW is not detected/loaded.

Setup:

- RPI3 using Ubuntu-mate 16.04 via the Astroberry image: indilib.org/forum/general/2183-astroberr...er.html?limitstart=0 Recommend this for the RPI3 and Kstars to get you a quick start.
- RPI3 is connected to network at home - wifi or LAN did not matter
- CGEM via HC, ASI1600 is connected to RPI3 USB
- EFW and ASI224 is connected to the ASI1600 USB hub
- ASI 224 ST-4 is connected to mounts ST-4 port

indiserver always runs on RPI3. I use the INDI Web server for this via the tutorial: indilib.org/support/tutorials/162-indi-web-manager.html

In this tutorial, i set the User=root for the indi web manager within the indiwebmanager.service file, and set the service to autostart.

Now I can either VNC into RPI3 and use the Kstars desktop directly on the RPI3, or I can launch Kstars on my Mac.

In both cases, Mode: local cannot work for me. The mode: remote is needed for the kstars/ekos/indi config. If kstars is running on RPI3 then use Host: localhost, and if on Mac use the IP address of the RPI3. In both case the INDI WebManager check box is checked.

I hope this helps.

Cheers!
6 years 9 months ago #17345

I do not have a permanent telescope setup and the weather has been stormy recently (I live in North Carolina, USA).

Right now, for testing, this is the configuation. Only the other connected devices change when I'm at the telescope:

- RPI3 using Ubuntu-mate 16.04 - unsure of source but it was a very easy install.
- RPI3 is connected to wifi network at home
- Currently setup with Telescope Simulator
- Currently setup with CCD Simulator
- EFW is connected by USB directly from device to USB port. (It clearly is connected and available per diagnostic info in original post)

I run my profile in LOCAL mode. In the original post, I posted some screenshots that may help. Perhaps a related symptom is that I find the CCD will not connect in remote mode. I actually just checked and in remote mode, nothing connects. In Local mode, the telescope and CCD simulators connect. The EFW does not connect. The message panel tells me "Unable to Establish: + ASI Wheel Please ensure the device is connected and powered on". To me, this is indicating INDI isn't recognizing the device. The udev/rules.d file contents for 99-efw.rulesare above, assuming INDI it referenced for the correct file name. My guess is something to do with this file is the problem - but I'm not really familiar with the inner workings of ekos/indi.

Thank for the help so far. I'm happy to continue trying things out if you have anything else to check.

-Matt
6 years 9 months ago #17354

Your systems are the same as mine. I too setup and take down every session.

The key different is that I use INDI web manager to run the server as root, and run Kstars as a user.

The setup I am using right now is in the image.

Perhaps a start a terminal session on the RPI3, and start indi using this:

sudo indiserver indi_asi_wheel indi_simulator_telescope indi_simulator_ccd &

Then connect Ekos using the same profile in the image

This works for me, and simulates the conditions I use for Ekos to start INDI with the INDI Web Manager.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt Lochansky
6 years 9 months ago #17355
Attachments:

PROGRESS!!!

I am now able to connect to the EFW in remote mode. After starting the indiserver manually, changing my setup to remote, the EFW appeared in the control panel and I was able to connect.

So, why doesn't it work in local mode? :)

I also somehow configured indiserver to start when my RPi boots.... I suppose I need to find the command that starts it - if I add in the asi_wheel (and maybe the CCD) I may be able to run indi in remote mode (which I'd prefer over local, but never got remote to work before).

-Matt
6 years 9 months ago #17357

I have not been able to determine why local mode does not work. I have reached out to ZWO, and no solutions yet.

To maximize the RPI3 flexibility, look to setup the starting of the indiserver using the INDI Web server: indilib.org/support/tutorials/162-indi-web-manager.html

Ekos can still be used to start the indiserver. This setup lets you also start Kstars on a PC to connect to the RPI3.

Attached is the config I use using INDI Web server. The key is to use localhost as your IP when running report.
6 years 9 months ago #17358
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 3
Hi Matt,
Does the efw-rules works for you in remote mode, in other words do you have to run INDI as root?

Yang
6 years 9 months ago #17359

Time to create page: 0.860 seconds