Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
08 Apr 2018
INDI development team is happy to announce the release of INDI Library v1.7.0. This new exciting release builds on the maturity of INDI Library and comes with many new supported devices and fixes for existing drivers.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC: Any experience with manually focusing using the Focus module?

Any experience with manually focusing using the Focus module? 1 week 1 day ago #27324

• wvreeven
  • wvreeven's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 46
Hi all,

For focusing my WO 71 and my 8" RC I use a Bahtinov mask and focus manually until the spikes created by the mask are evenly distributed. This works reasonably well but is not perfect, mostly due to me being impatient and me choosing too bright or faint stars. So I looked into the Focus module documentation and I wondered if anyone uses this module while focusing manually? I am considering installing a motor focus on at least the 8" RC but I for now I am stuck to manual focusing.

Any experiences you'd care to share?

Thanks, Wouter

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Modded Canon EOS 700D with a WO ZS 71 ED on a SW HEQ5-Pro /
QHY9 CCD and filter wheel with an 8" RC on a SW AZ-EQ6

Any experience with manually focusing using the Focus module? 1 week 1 day ago #27338

I use a homemade Moonlite protocol Arduino Focus module for both manual and auto focus. It works great. First I use manual focus to get the stars reasonably clear by manually entering steps. Then I click Autofocus. I am using a DLSR and change the image from RAW to medium fine jpeg which seems to speed up the process especially with subframing.
See the Moonlite focuser protocol discussion for more detail.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wvreeven

Any experience with manually focusing using the Focus module? 1 week 1 day ago #27339

• wvreeven
  • Away
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Thanks very much, that was very useful. I should have formulated my question a bit better because I don't have a motor focus at all so I need my hand to turn the focuser knob and I'd like to know if that works. I guess the answer is yes and I will for sure try it. And this also gives me a lot of knowledge, so thanks once again!

Any experience with manually focusing using the Focus module? 1 week 1 day ago #27341

In the focusing tab you can simply click Capture once, then select a guide star (by clicking at it in the picture), tick SubFrame and then click Framing. You can then focus manually until you like what you see. Click Stop to end the procedure.

As an alternative, in the CCD tab you could use live view to display the star while you're focusing manually. At least with Canon DSLRs you can zoom into the live view by drawing a box using the mouse.
In both cases the monitor displaying the focus star has to be close to your telescope.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wvreeven

Last Edit: by Herrhausen.

Any experience with manually focusing using the Focus module? 1 week 1 day ago #27342

• wvreeven
  • Away
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Also very useful, thanks very much!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.073 seconds

Login

3rd Party

Choose from the numerous 3rd party INDI drivers to suit your needs!

Got Problem?

Check out the FAQ, the forum, and the bug tracking system to resolve any issues you might have!
You can also subscribe to INDI newsletter and development mailing lists to get the latest updates on INDI!

Gallery

Replica

Why INDI

Replica