INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Ascom Focuser with Ekos

• Thank you received: 0
Hi there,
3 years ago I build an Arduino focuser. The only driver for this is an Ascom driver. Is it possible on linux to use it?
On windows with the Indi Server it runs, but i want to use it on a linux machine.
The Focuser is the Jolo Focuser.
github.com/sirJolo/ascom-jolo-focuser
Is it possible in Linux over wine to install it and use the indi server to get it work?
All other Hardware work fine for me except the focuser.

greetings

Michael
5 years 6 months ago #29357

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 301

Replied by Eric on topic Re:Ascom Focuser with Ekos

Most probably an ASCOM driver will only work on Windows. Depending on the complexity of the Focuser, it may be possible to implement an INDI driver quite quickly.

-Eric
5 years 6 months ago #29382

• Thank you received: 53

Replied by Ken Self on topic Ascom Focuser with Ekos

ASCOM only works on Windows as it uses the Registry. Maybe the driver would work under Windi www.cloudmakers.eu/windi/
5 years 6 months ago #29383

Hi there,
the problem with wINDI is it runs under Windows. But with my Netbook i would run only with Linux because Win 7 or Win 10 require much calculate Power.
Last time I installed Win 7 it cost my over 1 day with updates.
About integrate in INDI... who can I contact about it?
This would be great when it was possible. In Windows I used Astro photography tool. in one later updates for this focuser it has integrated.

greets

Michael
5 years 6 months ago #29387

Maybe you can ask the author to provide an INDI driver? or develop one yourself based on the command set supported by the focuser.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Smusch
5 years 6 months ago #29389

hello...
I have write an email to the autor of the focuser but with no response...
To develop one its not easy for me because I have no skill to program it myself. Anyone can help me a little how I can do it step by step?
With the tutorial on the homepage it is not easy to do it with the focuser..

thanks

Michael
5 years 6 months ago #29561

I had a look at the original code. The focuser is relatively similar to moonlite or usbfocus. It uses an relatively long initialization procedure, then behaves the same as those other devices, with a specific command set documented, most of the implementation is in "Driver.vb". Serial is 9600 bauds. Stepper movement, temperature compensation, backlash compensation.

First step I think would be to pick say the moonlite driver, and change the handshake function to match the initialization sequence from writeInitParameters in Driver.vb.

-Eric
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq, Michael Smusch
5 years 6 months ago #29562

Ok, but where can I find the Driver.vb ?
5 years 6 months ago #29566

The main files of the ASCOM driver are in github.com/sirJolo/ascom-jolo-focuser/tr...oFocuser/JoloFocuser. You have configuration settings, connection settings and actual commands in there. I agree this is quite complicated if you never delved into the subject, you should not be afraid of simplifying much of this.

-Eric
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Smusch
5 years 6 months ago #29573

I have now found as far as synonymous. But with the Moonlite Focuser in Ekos I can not adjust much except the baud rate or the port. It's really desperate. Already tried to get it via the kstars windows version, but there is even less. I started this wINDI server and entered everything as it should but that does not work either. Have already tried to edit linux via the indi driver xml file but can find these files nowhere. As a Windows user, it is not easy with linux.
5 years 6 months ago #29584

Time to create page: 0.956 seconds