INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Guiding in case of remote control

• Thank you received: 1
Hello,
I was wondering about performance in case of remote indi servers on a Raspberry device and local Ekos client and wifi connection: where does Lin_guider run? If it runs in local Ekos could the performace/lags issue lead to an inaccurate guiding due to the wifi link?

Thanks in advance,
Giovanni.
8 years 1 month ago #7076

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 46
My experience with a camera on the far end of a wifi link, the slow network speed of wifi becomes the bottleneck. We have the Oculus all-sky, and it was on the other end of a wifi link. It typically takes about 2.5 seconds to transfer an image over that run, it's an 802.11n link, images are 1392x1024 16 bit data. I replaced the wifi link with a network cable last fall, and transfers are significantly faster. BUT, it's only a 100mbit ethernet port on the unit I'm using out there, so it could be faster yet.

Another issue if using the Pi, under the covers, ethernet connection on a pi is actually a usb gadget hard wired to the processor, and it's NOT a good thruput ethernet device at all.

I did some testing over the winter, and using our guide cameras over a hard wired gigabit link, network latency starts to become a minor and almost insignificant delay overhead. This is why I put gigabit network between the house and the observatory location, it's 400 feet from the house so to long of a run for copper ethernet cable, I have a conduit for optical fiber in place. Inside each dome we will have an atom based motherboard to manage each telescope, something with gigabit ethernet, for exactly this reason. I want to ensure that the network is not the performance bottleneck when things are running. FWIW, I do plan to run guiding on computers located on the desk here in the house, the boards out in the observatory will only run an indi server, everything else is managed from computers in the house.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Giovanni
8 years 1 month ago #7077

Is there any opportunity to run lin_guider on Raspberry in order to avoid network lags? In this case Ekos should only let you set parameters or change them on the go and see the guide graph...
8 years 1 month ago #7080

• Thank you received: 95
You can try my open project Astronomy Linux
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by Oleg.
8 years 1 month ago #7081

So, this mean lin_guider runs on Raspberry? It sounds good...
8 years 1 month ago #7082

So, this means lin_guider runs on Raspberry? It sounds good...
8 years 1 month ago #7083

• Thank you received: 95
On the other hand, open this page indilib.org/forum/general/757-tinyastro-...s-indi-download.html

"TinyAstro is a Linux system for ametuer astronomer which install in ARM
mini PC.With INDI, Kstars/Ekos, OpenSkyImager, Lin_guider, Open
PHD2, TinyAstro will support a large rang of hardware."
You can try my open project Astronomy Linux
8 years 1 month ago #7084

Time to create page: 0.280 seconds