INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

first remote picture !!!!

• Thank you received: 223

nova.astrometry.net/user_images/1013104#annotated
Taken with a 314L+ , single 10sec exposure.

It is my first picture, taken from my remote observatory in Germany and 100% remotely controlled from HQ here in the UK.
I used the auto-focus function and that worked quite well.

There is still tons to do, as in for example alignment... yeah, I've sent the telescope to polaris and got NGC188 instead (close but not what I wanted)... lol
It's something I need to learn, I will open up a new post about it at some point.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq, Oleg, Philippe, Derek
8 years 1 month ago #7090

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 76

Replied by Derek on topic first remote picture !!!!

Nice one! I wonder if you are the record holder for 'remote distance with indi'? (measured in KM/Miles)

I'm less than 100km from my observatory. When stuff needs work I can hop in the car :-) But another country. Thats cool!
8 years 1 month ago #7103

483 miles, 8h30min drive...
When something goes wrong... I have very limited remote hands....

This is why I took my time setting up my system, and to this day I'm still finding issues to fix.
My mini roof have 3 micro switches to tell me if it's up or down, two of them are playing up and need changing. (Next trip in March and I will take care of it)
My weather station all-sky camera is not live, so I'm heavily relying on websites to tell me if the sky is clear or not... good thing I have a rain sensor... lol

It is just the beginning, more great things to come.
8 years 1 month ago #7104

• Thank you received: 76

Replied by Derek on topic first remote picture !!!!

LOL same here. Actually I was inspired by your RG11 rain sensor solution so I'm currently using one too (connected to an arduino) However, due to some really bad soldering Its currently offline and I'm depending on wunderground. Seriously risky in the Irish climate!!

I'm discovering lots of things going wrong in my setup. Mostly small things. Bad soldering, bad wiring (grounding). Switches not making contact. Humidity affecting connectors! Its not as easy as it initially sounds :-) Lucky I only have a 1hr drive though :-)

Derek
8 years 1 month ago #7105

Last night was a no moon/no cloud one so I took the opportunity to do more live testing with Ekos.

I took a single shot of M52

Now, to get to this point, the telescope wasn't pointing in the right direction (see above in this thread) so I used the solve (local as astrometry.net wasn't playing balls) and sync. done that quite a few times.
Slewed the telescope from Polaris to M52 back and forth with the odd random location, and every time I got Polaris and M52 nicely in the centre.

I have to say that I'm getting more comfortable with it, still I have the "what if" something has gone wrong before I close the lid....
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq, Philippe
8 years 1 month ago #7243

Time to create page: 0.244 seconds