INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Microtouch/Feathertouch Focus Controller Driver?

• Thank you received: 0
Please keep me updated when you find something I can help with. Good Luck.

Marco
7 years 8 months ago #9419

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 174
It is probably too late here today to start some debugging session, but if you can arrange remote access to your machine, we can do it tomorrow. Peter
7 years 8 months ago #9420

• Thank you received: 1
Hi guys,

I tried updating to OS X 10.11.6, but it didn't help the focuser problem. AstroDSLR now rocks though! Wish I understood why I can't seem to get to the port with the focuser on it anymore. Craig Starks works when I don't have the focuser added to INDI server. As soon as I add it to the server, Starks version won't connect anymore. But no matter what, the control panel says the resource is busy, check to see if it is powered up, etc. Frustrating!

Also, bad news, I have a conflict, and won't be able to trouble shoot tomorrow (Sunday) afterall. Sorry guys!

Sincerely,

Scott
7 years 8 months ago #9422

Hi Scott,

I looked at the screenshot again in the morning and I suspect, that you really use a wrong port. What is the device name? While on linux it is probably something like /dev/tty...., on OSX it should be something like /dev/cu..... otherwise you may get a message like this (tty... has modem control, cu... is naked device). The device name may be different if you connect the focuser to a different machine or hub USB port.

Peter
7 years 8 months ago #9424

Hi Peter,

I tried using every /dev/cu* device I have, multiple times, before and after reboots. I think the one I have is correct because when I start the INDI server with the USB port that I think is the right one, the Craig Stark software, which successfully controls the focuser, no longer connects.

Let me know if there is some other trouble shooting path I might take.

Scott
7 years 8 months ago #9436

Scott, just to be sure - the best way how to find the correct port name is disconnect and connect focuser and each time execute

ls /dev/cu*

The difference is the correct name :)

Marco, any other idea what can be wrong? I checked your source and it seems, that it actually connected successfully and failed on ack(), am I right? Strange is, that it doesn't show error message in WriteCmd(). Peter
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by Peter Polakovic.
7 years 8 months ago #9438

• Thank you received: 0
Peter, I think I know whats going on. I had a signed/unsigned mismatch in the code before PR #48. Position is returned as an unsigned short int (16bits). If the focuser is sitting at a position higher than 32.767 the negative sign is returned and Ack() failes. This is corrected in PR #48. Sorry.

Scott, please try and move the unconnected focuser by hand to a position below 32767 and try to connect. Let me know if this works.

Marco
7 years 8 months ago #9439

Yes, I see there is another change 3 days ago...

Scott, please can you try this build? Peter

download.cloudmakers.eu/INDI_Server_2.2.29.dmg
7 years 8 months ago #9440

I will give this a shot in ~4 hours. I will use the hand controller to set the position, then try to connect with INDI! Thanks!

S-
7 years 8 months ago #9441

I recently spotted this thread, and owning a Microtouch/Feathertouch Focus combo myself was thrilled to see the latest builds having this as a Focuser option.

If you are having trouble connecting, make sure you have adequate privileges on Linux to do so. I could not connect to my Celestron CGE Pro mount until I did the following in a terminal session: sudo usermod -a -G dialout $USER ($USER is your username when logged in) or google the other equivalent Linux commands for giving you permissions to access the serial ports.

I tried it at home 'quickly' with my controller and a favorite focuser, and I can say there where Zero issues connecting, and the focuser can be driven back and forth using Ekos which is Awesome! I am busy getting ready for the Oregon Star Party in Central Oregon, USA, so can give more help with testing when I return. Great job on this as it is quite usable to me as it is!

Thanks to all involved,

Robert
7 years 8 months ago #9451

Good news all, the latest fixes have resolved my connection problems. I am still getting an intermittent loss of connection after the focuser works for a few minutes. This is despite INCI Control Panel indicating the connection is still live. I believe Peter is working on tracking down the issue - but overall the focuser seems like it is now working!

Thanks to everyone for working on this problem!

S-
7 years 7 months ago #9452

Scott, please, can you check, if focuser is "connected" (I mean connection property) after it became disabled in AstroDSLR?
Control Panel indicating that connection to indiserver wrapping the driver is still live, but driver itself is possibly restarted after the crash.

Peter
7 years 7 months ago #9454

Time to create page: 1.013 seconds