INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

kstars crash in remote usage with vnc

• Thank you received: 51
Hello all
I am trying something different today.
Just a remark I made a recent update of kstars-bleeding (the last one I guess). In my memories kstars worked through vnc before (but I am not truly sure).
So...
My first idea was to use indiserver on a remote device and kstars on my laptop. This work is still ongoing and works quite fine. I have just some improvements to do.
The second idea is to try to workaround some difficulties I meet with the first idea: trying to run all kstars/ekos/indi on the remote device and use vnc viewer on my laptop.
Vnc works fine but when I try to launch kstars on the remote device I get a message about a core dump (I don't know where is the core file)
I tested kstars locally on the remote device connecting screen, keyboard and mouse to it. All works fine.
So I guess this is a X server issue but I don't know how to confirm it neither how to fix it.
Any idea is welcome.
Patrick
7 years 11 months ago #7990

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 76
Patrick,

I also use x11vnc and experience crashes. I dont know for sure if its a vnc related problem or what is happening. I even started to suspect some RAM problem in my PC.

For me, kstars just vanishes. I dont get any error or warning. However from the dmesg log I see a line like this.
[18201.025384] traps: kstars[1694] general protection ip:6c7f80 sp:7fff09bbe5a8 error:0 in kstars[400000+680000]
I am suspecting some strange interaction with the kstars fits viewer.

How often do you experience the crash? For me it happens about once out of every 3 or 4 nights.
Derek
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by Derek.
7 years 11 months ago #7991

• Thank you received: 51
Hello Derek,

The crash happen immediately when I run kstars. None graphic panel appears. Just the line with the core dump. That is why I suspect a X server problem.

Patrick
7 years 11 months ago #7992

Time to create page: 0.175 seconds