INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Stacking 2 Raspberry Pis via Eth port

• Thank you received: 5
Dear Forum,
Somewhere here I saw even pictures showing two RPis interconnected directly via their Eth ports, but I cannot find the author back.
I have done that as well and it works fine. My only problem is that I would like to connect to one of these machines via a Wifi dongle. For that machine there will be two networks connected and I wonder how to configure that? Should I install a bridging software? If yes, does someone have hints about the configuration of the bridge?
Thanks in advance,
Stefan
7 years 10 months ago #8362

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 95
You can try my open project Astronomy Linux
7 years 10 months ago #8364

• Thank you received: 5
Thanks Oleg, but that was not the post I am looking for. I am currently running 2 RPis on the network and that is fine. First I used Wifi for both machines and my tablet but I discovered it is much more reliable when as many as possible machines ar cabled via a hub/switch.

What I saw on one of the posts was really connecting two RPis with a streight UTP cable between the two Eth connectors of the respective RPis.
I would like to avoid a switch between machines. Because I would like to use my tables for wireless remote controlling I need to get in one of my RPis via a Wifi dongle. That machine then has two web interfaces one wlan0 and another Eth0. How can I best configure this? I tried just by giving the two interfaces an IP address and bring them up but that was not success full.
7 years 10 months ago #8365

• Thank you received: 2
Hi,

What are the reasons why you do not want to use a Wi-Fi router? Plug the 2 RPis in Ethernet on it, and access it with your tablet via Wi-Fi. No configuration required, everything in DHCP (+ static lease on the RPis). And it is much more robust than a Wi-Fi dongle on the RPi + ethernet bridge with the other RPi.

If you really want to use this Wi-Fi dongle, do you want to use to broadcast a Wi-Fi network, or to connect to an existing one?
Your RPi will have for each interface a different IP address. On the 2 separate networks, another machine can then access the RPi on its IP address. What was not successful? What is this web interface you are talking about?

Gorgias.
7 years 10 months ago #8386

• Thank you received: 46
if the wifi in the pi is being run as an access point, the trivial solution is to just bridge the wifi and network adapters. If the wifi is running as a client of the network, bridging wont work as the client mode wifi connection wont pass bridged traffic, and in most cases will refuse to be joined to a bridge adapter on the host. If the wifi is running as an ad-hoc network it should bridge ok.
7 years 10 months ago #8395

Time to create page: 0.799 seconds