INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Double Stars in KStars, Ekos plan format?

• Thank you received: 5
I'm sure this is the wrong place to ask, but why no double stars in Kstars?

How would one go about getting a type for double stars includes in KStars? Ideally the type would allow for WDS ID, a mag for both the primary and secondary, separation and angle. Nice would also include constellation, star types and a place to add a comp star.

I can force in the WDS Catalog under "star" with classification as "dbl", and maybe use another field for separation. That gets us going.

We are hoping to set up a couple of robotic observatories to collect publishable date. We will probably do our own selection of targets and building of observing programs outside of KStars (routines there are pretty limited for our need). Is there documentation on the plan format? BTW, Ekos is looking really good, nice job.

Greg
7 years 7 months ago #9572

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Well, the "correct" place is to ask on the KStars development mailing list, but no worries. I'll check with the KStars team on how to import WDS into KStars with additional double-star metadata.

EDIT: You mean Ekos Scheduler List (.esl) file format? If yes, there is no official documentation for it yet, but it's pretty straightforward.
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by Jasem Mutlaq.
7 years 7 months ago #9574

• Thank you received: 5
Jasem,

Thank you and great work on Ekos. I've been going through the Youtube videos... quite nice.

Yes, Ekos Scheduler List (.esl) file format.

We often get a target list from USNO that may have from 300-5000 targets. We match those with comp stars and image. Typical data set is 10,000 frames of the target (~30ms each) and 1000-3000 of the comp star. These may be in sets of 1000, depends a little. The frames are generally a 512 x 512 ROI to save disk space but we can eat a Terabyte drive pretty fast. The data reduction is pretty well automated now, directed by a formatted spreadsheet listing targets, comps and file locations. The task lends itself to automation, but is also more complex than image Vaga for 2 minutes. Anyway, Ekos looks like a good option for us to start with for automation.

Greg
7 years 7 months ago #9580

Greg,

Sounds quite interesting. The ELS file contains the list of objects and associated conditions, the actual details of each target exposure is in the Ekos Sequence Queue files. Feel free to email me directly for any questions.
7 years 7 months ago #9581

Time to create page: 0.349 seconds