INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Custom views not available on 3.7.0 for MacOS

• Thank you received: 33
Hi,

I downloaded this version just now on my MacOS M1 and the feature for "Custom views" (Akarsh Simha introduced the ability to orient the sky map to match the view through any instrument) is not showing in the menus. Do I need to do anything special to activate this?
Clear Skies,
Pramod

My kit: SW 130PDS on a HEQ5 Pro mount, ZWO ASI533mc Pro, 30mm guidescope with ASI120mm mini, managed using Kstars/Ekos, RPi with Stellarmate OS, ASI224mc, bits and bobs for visual observations.
Last edit: 1 week 5 days ago by AstroMuni.
2 weeks 16 hours ago #100298

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 30
Hi!

Could you provide a bit more information about what feature exactly it is you are looking for. KStars/EKOS has a number of settings for views/colors/etc.

Best,
Fred
2 weeks 14 hours ago #100299

• Thank you received: 11
I’m not the OP but I assume he is referring to this from the release notes:

Custom Views

Akarsh Simha introduced the ability to orient the sky map to match the view through any instrument.

A view is a collection of settings: the orientation of the sky map, how the orientation changes as the sky map is panned, whether it is mirrored or not, and optionally the field-of-view to set the map to.

If no views are defined, KStars introduces a set of standard / "demo" views by default. Existing views can be edited and new views can be added using the "Edit Views..." interface. They can also be re-ordered in the interface. The ordering of the views in the "Edit Views..." dialog defines the order in which views will be cycled through using the keyboard shortcuts Shift + Page Up and Shift + Page Down. Thus, you can set up the views for easily switching between naked eye / finder scope / telescope views for easy star-hopping.

Furthermore, there is a new option in the View menu that enables mirroring the sky map so as to be able to match the view through an erecting prism used for example on a Schmidt-Cassegrain or Refracting type telescope.

The rotation feature overlay now also marks East in addition to north and zenith, so as to know easily whether the display is mirrored or not.

I also was not able to find it on Mac although I did not look as thoroughly as I might.
The following user(s) said Thank You: AstroMuni
2 weeks 12 hours ago #100300

I checked on Linux and the Views Menu option is available. So something is amiss with the MacOS build
Clear Skies,
Pramod

My kit: SW 130PDS on a HEQ5 Pro mount, ZWO ASI533mc Pro, 30mm guidescope with ASI120mm mini, managed using Kstars/Ekos, RPi with Stellarmate OS, ASI224mc, bits and bobs for visual observations.
Last edit: 1 week 6 days ago by AstroMuni.
1 week 6 days ago #100306

• Thank you received: 20
The menu entry is called "Views" and not "Custom Views" although we've referred to the feature as "Custom Views". Please check if there is a menu item titled
"Views" in the "View" menu, screenshot from my Linux machine attached. I've tested the build on MacOS and at least on my custom builds, it showed up fine.

Clear Skies,
Akarsh
1 week 4 days ago #100363
Attachments:

Hi Akarsh,

This is what it looks like on the Mac (Macbook Pro M1 running Sonoma 14.4.1). It works perfectly on my Linux machine.
Clear Skies,
Pramod

1 week 3 days ago #100364
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 20
Interesting. I have no idea what might be causing this.

If you are building from source, have you run `make install`? Generally speaking, KDE uses an .xml file to define the menu items, and you need to run the full build process to install this properly.

In my attempt to build it on MacOS, it worked fine. Perhaps someone who is more familiar with MacOS build toolchain knows what the issue is, maybe Robert Lancaster?
3 days 22 hours ago #100496

I installed the pre-built dmg available in the downloads area.
Clear Skies,
Pramod

3 days 20 hours ago #100497

• Thank you received: 69
Hmm,
I downloaded the 3.7.0 stable DMG on my Mac with a build date of Build: 2024-04-04T05:15:20Z
and I see the Views sub-menu.
3 days 8 hours ago #100507

I have the exact same build on my Mac and I don't see it. What macOS are you running? I have the most recent Sonoma 14.4.1 on an Intel iMac. Here is what the View menu looks like:

3 days 6 hours ago #100511
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 69
Apple Silicon Mac Studio M1 Ultra 14.4.1
3 days 5 hours ago #100512
Attachments:

Ah! I bet there was some compile flag that controls this feature. Maybe it was set for the Apple silicon builds but not for Intel.

Is the original poster also on Intel?
3 days 4 hours ago #100514

Time to create page: 0.843 seconds