INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Ekos block Canon 6D from power down

• Thank you received: 7
Hi,
I have a Canon 6D and operate it from Kstars/Ekos, all programs installed locally in the server. Remote control it over VNC.

I can control the camera and it looks to operate as it should. But afterwards when I shall power down the camera (on the camera) it hangs, in the camera display it says it waiting for 4 or more images. It's not connected anymore over USB and the only way I can come through this is to take out the battery from the camera.

I think it happens when I do a preview in Ekos, but not sure.

Has anyone got this problem?

/Lars
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by Lars.
7 years 5 months ago #10701

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 32
So how exactly are you able to power it down? I have all my porgrams installed locally and the INDI server on the Raspberry remotely. I don't see a power down option actually, I just stop the INDI server. Never hung before, are you trying to shut down while taking pictures?
7 years 5 months ago #10732

Hi Supernov,
I have all the software installed in Raspberry, remote control it over VNC.

After I had finished Kstars/Ekos and shut it down I disconnect the USB cable to the camera and it don't looks to doing any exposure. Then I try to switch the camera off (on the camera) and then I get an error message in the camera display and it says it's waiting. Only way to power down the camera now is to take the battery out.

But I think it's has something to do when I do a preview in Ekos, nothing happens sometimes. But after when I run the schedule it takes photos as normal.

I'm updating the Kstars/Ekos software now, maybe it will work after that.

/Lars
7 years 5 months ago #10733

• Thank you received: 32
Ah, it's the camera itself that's not shutting down when manually switching it off. I don't think that would be a Ekos/INDI issue, maybe it's also a good idea to check your firmware version and maybe things like the battery, I've never seen it not shutting down while doing that manually actually.
7 years 5 months ago #10734

It's very strange behavior because the camera take photos when running a seqeunce and stops as it should. I have something simular on my Canon 5D when I did something wrong in bulbmode, but that doesn't look to be the situation now.

I checked my firmaware in Canon 6D, it's 1.1.6, the latest.

But I'm sure it has something to do with me because I'm new to Linux and Raspberry. For the moment I can't even start INDI, I posted that question in an another thread.

/Lars
7 years 5 months ago #10735

• Thank you received: 1
Astrofriend. Help! You appear to have gotten your 6D working with EKOS but I'm new to this and I can't figure it out.

First, I do have Kstars/Ekos installed on my Pi 3 and running a 4-port hub that the mount and camera are attached to. Ekos connects to the mount fine and "appears" to connect to the Canon 6D. But nothing really works right.

I can turn on preview but it all locks up and Kstars crashes. Kstars prevents me from powering down.

Would you be willing to explain to me how you did your setup?

James
7 years 5 months ago #10982

Hi James,
I will say I almost get it to work. Kstars/Ekos have problem to download the images from my camera Canon 6D. But I think it will be solved soon.

Look here:
www.indilib.org/forum/ekos/1605-ekos-and...-6d-setup.html#10892

I waiting for a update of Ekos.

You can follow me on my homepage how I do my setup:
www.astrofriend.eu/astronomy/projects/pr...tars-indi-linux.html

I add more informatio or correct when I have news.

For the moment we are down at Tenerife island, but rain and clouds. If the weather change to better we maybe will visit the big observatory for a guided tour.

/Lars
7 years 5 months ago #10985

The update in Ekos will not fix the GPhoto issue. Do you have TeamViewer? I'd like to login and diagnose the issue myself.
7 years 5 months ago #10987

Hi Jasem,
That would be great! I don't have Teamviewer but I try to install it when I'm back home. I normally use Skype when sharing screen.

But first I will do a update of all software, last time was about two weeks ago, maybe that helps, I have seen others discusing this problem too.

I will be back home in the beginning of november.

Lars
7 years 5 months ago #11001

• Thank you received: 1
Lars:
I read your web site with your progress; thank you. I have a question maybe you can help.

I did as you described to prevent the Canon camera from auto mounting at startup by unchecking the boxes in media handling. It does not work for me; my camera still mounts. It is true that I can unmount it manually, but I'm wondering why it worked for you and not me.

JT
7 years 5 months ago #11026

Hi JT,
Sorry, that's not working for me either yet, I don't understand why, I hope I had wrote that I'm searching for a way to solve that. In the Stargazer forum I was recommended to erase a couple of files that control this. That's something I don't have tried yet, can't find that thread now. Down at Tenerife now and will be back next week. Then I can post a link about the idea how to solve it. Maybe you can search for Astrofriend at Stargazerlounge forum and find the answere I got to solve it. Or maybe I remember wrong and it's the cloudynight forum.

Sorry that I can't help more for the moment.

Lars
7 years 5 months ago #11035

I updated the INDI Gphoto driver to delete those files automatically. Testing this now. But somehow I do not think that's your problem. Again, I will know for sure once you're back and TeamViewer is up.
7 years 5 months ago #11036

Time to create page: 0.482 seconds