INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Alignment with EQMod & Ekos - help needed

• Thank you received: 11
Hi everyone,

I have spent several frustrating nights trying to get my mount to align properly and I think I need some help. After a couple of Captures & Solves, my mount (Factory-reset EQ8 with latest firmware and a good polar alignment using a PoleMaster camera) starts pointing in really weird directions - far from what is correct.

I am following the steps outlined here:
www.indilib.org/support/tutorials/137-al...with-eqmod-ekos.html

kstars-bleeding and indi-full, as of 2016-10-23 are installed with Ubuntu:
Linux indi6 4.4.0-45-generic #66-Ubuntu SMP Wed Oct 19 14:12:37 UTC 2016 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Local (offline) astrometry.net is used and appears to be working fine.

One thing that is different is that, in the instruction page mentioned above, one is supposed to select Update Coordinates After Slew but I do not see that in my Alignment section.

I'll stop here and see if what's on the web page is correct before pasting log files.

Thanks,
Ollie
7 years 6 months ago #10973

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1. Check Geographic Coords in EQMod driver
2. Check Time in EQMod driver
3. Attach KStars Log with Align module being Checked in KStars --> Advanced in Settings. Mode: Verbose to File
4. Attach INDI EQmod log (Options Tab --> Debug On, Verbose (check all), to File)
5. What Alignment mode did you select in EQMod driver?
6. Focal length/aperture checked OK?

"Update Coordinates" was moved to settings and is enabled by default, so this is not your problem.
7 years 6 months ago #10974

Hi Jasem,

1. In EQMod > Site Management, I have to re-enter my elevation every time I reboot. It keeps showing up as zero every time I restart. Latitude is correct and does not change. Longitude gets converted from -106:07:45.5 to 253:52:16. I have not changed it so something keeps resetting that as well. Perhaps this is a conversion of some sort?
2. My UTC offset is -6. We're currently at -7 with Daylight Savings but LT is correct in kstars and LST looks correct.
3. (I'll provide this info tonight)
4. " " "
5.. N-Star alignment mode is selected.
6. In EQMod Mount > Options, FL and Apertures look good. Align method is set to EQMod Align.

Thanks for your help,
Ollie
7 years 6 months ago #10975

1. Longitude fine (it's 0 to 360 E+)
2. Fine
3 & 4. Make sure they are turned on _before_ you do anything
5. Fine
6. Fine
7 years 6 months ago #10977

Okay, I finally got a chance to do an alignment with verbose logging enabled. The first item I'm worried about is this message:

2016-10-25T19:31:06.576 - DEBG - Alignment: "Current focal length is 2032 mm while computed focal length from the solver is 231.8 mm. Please update the mount focal length to obtain accurate results."

I have the telescope defined in EQMod Mount > Options > Aperture and Focal Length.

Now I am wondering if my plate solver options got messed up in the Alignment module. Is there a way to set those back to default?

[Update] Nothing I do seems to get me past that error message about the focal length mismatch. I guess I'll wipe everything and start with a fresh install and see if it still happens.
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by Ollie.
7 years 5 months ago #11024

Mount behavior and alignment now working much better after a fresh install of Ubuntu. During this time, the new kstars and INDI were released so I am not sure if that had anything to do with it. Either way, thank you! Your hard work is appreciated.
7 years 5 months ago #11262

Time to create page: 0.382 seconds