INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Preview problem with canon 500D

• Thank you received: 14
@knro
Preview in ekos have strange problem, first time you use preview work ok, second time not close mirror.

Attach debug, and add link for see recorded desktop with problem ( 2 minutes of video not more :) ).

Thx for this beautiful work.

Video Record Desktop

P.S.
I investigate code in gphoto_driver.cpp ..in particular part of preview and seem second time i use preview is not executed command viewfinder = 0
after this part:
// Check viewfinder widget to force mirror down after live preview if needed
and in this part:
int gphoto_stop_preview(gphoto_driver *gphoto)

Make my personal test only not found solution :) ..if you have little time to add hand and control ..thx.
7 years 5 months ago #11715
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Do you have mirror lock enabled / disabled in the camera settings? I will check it tonight with my 600D.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Teseo
7 years 5 months ago #11717

I have Firmware 1.1.1 and menu 9 "Mirror Lockup" is setted as Disable

Thx.
7 years 5 months ago #11718

So similar problem with 600D. I can do first preview fine, THEN when disabled, I can hear the camera click (I guess mirror going back?). When I try the 2nd preview, it works OK as well, however, when I disable it this time, no more clicks and if I try to capture anything it fails. Maybe this is a bug with GPhoto2? The way I disable it is this:

gphoto_set_widget_num(gphoto, gphoto->viewfinder_widget, 0)

If there is another way or additional steps to do then please let me know, or follow with gphoto2 folks and find out.
7 years 5 months ago #11777

Yes ..you explain in perfect english my issue :)

I search to reproduce problem with bash command for report in gphoto mailing list, only I can not, if use command:
gphoto2 --capture-movie ( for preview )
ctrl-c ( for kill process )
gphoto2 --set-config viewfinder=0 ( for mirror return back )
..all work ALWAYS ok !!!

Thx for all, bye.
7 years 5 months ago #11785

INDI Gphoto driver calls gphoto2 --set-config viewfinder=0 every single time but I can only hear a click the first it is called. Any subsequent calls produces no sounds (i.e. mirror going to normal position). So you tried doing that multiple times in a row?
7 years 5 months ago #11786

I tried 10 times in a row and always return ok!! ( mirror going to normal position )

Thx.
7 years 5 months ago #11787

Ok, run the INDI Gphoto driver. Start and then stop the preview, then run that command from the command line, does the mirror go back?
7 years 5 months ago #11788

No, something seems to keep the command control blocked :(
[dm7020@~]$ gphoto2 --set-config viewfinder=0

*** Errore ***             
An error occurred in the io-library ('Could not claim the USB device'): Could not claim interface 0 (Dispositivo o risorsa occupata). Make sure no other program (gvfs-gphoto2-volume-monitor) or kernel module (such as sdc2xx, stv680, spca50x) is using the device and you have read/write access to the device.
*** Errore (-53: "Could not claim the USB device") ***       

P.S.
When closed indi-ekos-kstars ..command run fine.
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by Teseo.
7 years 5 months ago #11789

Yes that makes sense since it already claimed by the INDI GPhoto driver. If you turn debug log for GPhoto driver, can you see calls going to "--set-config viewfinder" after you stop preview? It should return OK.

Here is what the GPhoto driver is doing:

1. gp_file_new
2. gp_camera_capture_preview
3. gp_file_get_data_and_size
4. gp_file_unref

So maybe there is more to do to "close" the preview? I don't know if any extra command required at this point. After disabling the preview, it just sets view-finder to 0 and that's all.
7 years 5 months ago #11790

• Thank you received: 226
I have noticed this behavior too. The first time preview is disabled, the mirror flips back down and the Canon menu returns to the screen. But the second time the mirror does not flip down, and the camera's screen remains blank. Hitting the LiveView button on the camera will show the live view on screen, so it looks like LiveView output via USB remains engaged even though INDI has stopped listening for it, and the LiveView button is toggling local and a non existing external display.
7 years 3 months ago #13396

Is this then a bug from GPhoto side? I couldn't find a way to force it off. If that's the case, we should file a bug with GPhoto.
7 years 3 months ago #13447

Time to create page: 0.299 seconds