INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

GPSD driver kills KStars

• Thank you received: 375
What happened to indi_gpsd driver? While you connect KStars gets freezed and all you can do is to kill it and restart.
Running from repo, recompiling, recompiling previous versions, checking permissions to tty... all render the same result. Meanwhile accessing gpsd daemon with cgps or gpsmon works as usual. At the moment the driver is not functional. Anybody???

UPDATE: I did some additional tests and it seems that the problem is present only in one specific configuration i.e. indiserver, indi_gpsd and kstars ALL running on the same machine (arm based). When I try to connect to the same instance of indiserver & indi_gpsd from a remote desktop everything is OK. Any ideas?
Last edit: 7 years 4 months ago by Radek Kaczorek.
7 years 4 months ago #12983

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

How can I test this? I downloaded gpsd, can you start it without attached GPS devices? If so, please let me know how so I can test this.
7 years 4 months ago #12987

You can run the driver without a gps device or gpsd service. When you connect you're done. The only way to escape from this is to kill KStars.
7 years 4 months ago #12992

Yeah I just ran that and no issues at all in KStars on my machine. And I even tried it in Mint VM and it also worked fine. There must be some another issue in your system.
7 years 4 months ago #12997

Thanks for this Jasem. I guess you run it on your desktop, right? Anybody using indiserver on arm based devices? Raspberry Pi, Odroid, Banana Pi?
7 years 4 months ago #13005

• Thank you received: 87

Replied by nMAC on topic GPSD driver kills KStars

Hi Kaczorek,
just tested on my Pi B+ server (indi 1.3.1) and it works fine! I can connect and disconnect/reconnect without problems.
My clients are x86_64 Macbook Pro / Atom PC with Ubuntu Mate and they both work. Are you running Kstars on the RPi too?
Last edit: 7 years 4 months ago by nMAC.
7 years 4 months ago #13006
Attachments:

Thanks nmac. So I need to get deeper into tracing this down. I have recently moved to Banana Pi M3 board (before I used all flavours of RPi) and cannot get indi_gpsd up and running. I can read gpsd with gpsmon and cgps without problem but indi_gpsd driver is stalled.
7 years 4 months ago #13007

It looks like the problem is purely related to Banana Pi M3 hardware and its outdated kernel (3.4). No problem with the driver on Raspberry Pi whatsoever.
7 years 4 months ago #13101

Time to create page: 0.369 seconds