INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

RaspberryPI - GPIO to ST4 Guiding Driver

• Thank you received: 0
Hello!
I am searching for an INDI driver to guide a EQ5-DualAxis-Handbox with ST4 input, directly with the raspberry PI's GPIO + optocoupler.
Or is it possible to write my own java-driver for it. But i can't find any BASE-Guider-Driver for java only for c++, and i am not so skilled in c++-development. :/

Maybe someone has done this before?

greetings Ganymoe
7 years 2 months ago #13623

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

There are a couple of INDI implementations, but the most widely used is the C++ one, so try to write it in C++ and if you encounter issues let us know and we'll try to help. Good luck!
7 years 2 months ago #13657

• Thank you received: 4
Please excuse the extreme thread necromancy...

Is there a raspberry pi GPIO driver for ST4 guiding? I have built an interface using a 4-channel optoisolator and cables, I just need to connect it to a controller, preferably direct to the Pi's GPIO but alternatively through an Arduino. Did anyone ever manage to write up a C++ driver for this? If not, is there an example showing an arduino used as a USB->ST4 interface with INDI?
6 years 11 months ago #16308

I managed to cobble something together using reverse-engineering/repurposing the existing ardust4 and corresponding indi driver. I'll post it to my github once i clean it up a bit, however folks using a RaspberryPi instead of a Pine64 will need to modify the pinout.h file, and if running on 32bit distro, may need to make two small changes to the source. I need to wait until nightfall to test with my gear.

This whole exercise does highlight a large opportunity for INDI development. There really should be a unified RaspberryPi GPIO driver where individual pins can be assigned to things such as focuser control, ST4 guiding, DSLR bulb trigger, flat/cover servo actuation, and so on.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
6 years 11 months ago #16313

If you can generalize your driver then this would be great! Something like what was done before for Arduino driver.
6 years 11 months ago #16314

• Thank you received: 375

It's hardly possible because all the functionalities you mention require another piece of hardware controlled by RPi i.e. you need at least level shifter 3.3V to 5V for guiding pulses coming from GPIO and for the others you need special purpose device (stepper motor controller or relay/mosfet or pwm servo controller and so on). Unified driver will come to play when unified astro HAT is available... which is part of my development pipeline ;-)
6 years 11 months ago #16315

I get that about needing level shifters and optoisolators, etc. The software still needs to be there.

Do you have a listing of the capabilities of your AstroHat? Will it be able to send guiding via ST4, focusing, DSLR shutter control, etc?
6 years 11 months ago #16316

• Thank you received: 375
What I'm thinking of is:
- Focuser
- ST4
- Shutter control
- Cover servo (maybe also light control for flats)
- Temperature, humidity and pressure sensors
- 4xPWM for dew heaters
- 4xPower switches

Anything else would be interesting?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq, Feilim Breatnach
6 years 11 months ago #16317

• Thank you received: 54

Hi,
Anything else ? Please consider to keep your GPS and "altimu" : i find it very usefull and safe to have a feedback of mount position (and i think GonzoTheGreat is using it on his wonderfull remote setup)
And why not a mic ? I've read someone using a mic to ear motor noise, just to check that everything is OK
Gilles.
6 years 11 months ago #16358

As promised, here is the code : github.com/zenmetsu/gpiost4

This is probably the dirtiest kludge I've ever performed. I simply took two projects and mashed them together, cutting out the need for USB->Arduino link. I need to test on RaspberryPi, but it is working on my Pine64.

Try at own risk, I'm not responsible if your OTA starts spinning wildly and your rig takes off like a helicopter.
6 years 11 months ago #16369

• Thank you received: 2
Hello and sorry for diggin' this up :)

I am currently looking for a way to guide my SkyWatcher StarAdventurer via Astroberry, but i can't find a propper way to connect the mounts ST4 Port.
My Guide-Scope is taken from the OpenAstroTracker-Project OpenAstroTracker - Github . The Guide-Scope is 3D-Printed and uses a IMX290 Sensor Webcam Module. there is no ST4 Port on it, so i need to create this signal sepparately. Using the GPIO would be perfect, cause i wouldn't need some extra Box or stuff.

Did you manage to port your driver to RasPi?

Greetings from germany,

Flo
Last edit: 1 year 10 months ago by Flo.
1 year 10 months ago #83074

• Thank you received: 3
Hello there
Lets dig it up again :)
I've ported Jason code to Raspberry pi and updated for new indi libs.
It just "works for me", but you can try:
github.com/sanlupkim/gpiost4
6 months 2 weeks ago #95772

Time to create page: 0.475 seconds