INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

using indi py or dbus scripting

• Thank you received: 0
I have the following problem. In order to open/close my roof I need to slew the telescope out of the way by 90° (too high). I have tried to achieve this by using either indi py or dbus scripting with no success. I can park, unpark by can't get it to move. I guess should be pretty simple for somebody who knows but I have spend now 3 days without success. I have tried to set an alternative park position - doesn't work, I have tried to use the "HORIZONTAL_COORD" with no success.
Can somebody please give me a hand, should be an 15 min exercise for somebody who know how to do.
7 years 2 months ago #14231

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

What mount are you using? What's the exact location you want to slew to?
7 years 2 months ago #14239

Replied by mt on topic using indi py or dbus scripting

I am using an eqmod compatible mount (Avalon Linear). I can run the standard demo scripts of indi py and dbus that is slewing to caph (dbus) respective vega (indi py). But slewing to a position with "equatorial_eod_coord" doesn't help me because throughout the year the mount will slew to different positions. Since eqmod provides the function of an alternative park position (see snap) my first idea was to slew the mount from the nominal park (north star heading) just by 90° out of the way of the roof when opening and set this as the alternative park position. But I couldn't get it to work with indi py. The other idea was to use the "HORIZONTAL_COORD" method to slew. My third trial was to use the "TELESCOPE_MOTION_NS", again I couldn't get it to work.
To your 2nd question "what is the exact location you want to slew to" - I have no exact location it just needs to slew from park NS orientation (vertical) by 90° to horizontal EW (see snap).
7 years 2 months ago #14242
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 76
I think your exact location is 0.0, 90.0 (ALT AZ) That would have your scope pointing directly at the eastern horizion. Is this where you want to point? Are you living at a very northern latitude?

Also, quick question Why dont you use this location as the park location? This is what I do with my roll off roof. I only have 1 park position and its pointing at the horizion so the roof can open/close.
7 years 2 months ago #14246

I am living in Germany near Bremen. Yes I thought about it as well to just use the park position pointing to the horizon. But that requires a lot of space in my observatory. But you are right - also from a safety point of view since you do not need to care about "did it really slew" when working remote. Still I would be really interested how to properly use those functions in dbus or indi py. From the available documentation it is very hard to know how to use.
I get the Switch type function to work but have problems with setting numbers.
Telescope_Park / Switch (park, unpark) =works; Telescope_Park_Possition / Number (AZ/ALT or RA/DEC) =no success.
7 years 2 months ago #14247

• Thank you received: 76
Ah yes I understand now regarding space. The scope does take up more space alright when parked horizontal.
To be honest I think you may need to use a slew to an RA/DEC based on your current location and time.
Something like,
1) Unpark (from the vertical pointing position)
2) calculate RA/DEC of ALT/AZ 0/90 for current location and time,
3) slew to this RA/DEC. See example here of slewing to RA/DEC (for vega) www.indilib.org/support/tutorials/166-in...d-take-some-pictures
4) open roof.
5) slew to target.

To be honest, if you get the above working then make sure its really really well tested. Its adding a bit of complexity to your startup & shutdown procedures and you want to make them as simple and safe as possible as they are this highest risk areas for equipment damage.
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by Derek.
7 years 2 months ago #14248

Sounds good, however my favorite was the alternative park position like it is offered in EQMOD.
Here my logic:
UNPARK, set TELESCOPE_PARK_POSITION (AZ, ALT), set TELESOPE_PARK_OPTION (PARK_CURRENT) assuming that current uses the values from PARK_POSITION, open roof, Set TELESOPE_PARK_OPTION (PARK_DEFAULT)

There is another option in TELESOPE_PARK_OPTION (PARK_WRITE_DATA) and I don't know how those function relate to each other.
7 years 2 months ago #14249

All telescope standard properties are Documented here .
7 years 2 months ago #14255

Time to create page: 0.492 seconds