INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Just getting started and need a little help

• Thank you received: 32
I use ethernet and it has been a huge improvement over wifi. Many problems are solved by it, probably because the connection not only is faster, but more importantly stable. I have bought a tiny pc-board which has gigabit ethernet on it, but the 100mbit of the Pi really is fine as well. I can now use USB over IP which is nice for Windows as well, but requires a stable connection.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brian Morgan
7 years 5 days ago #15521

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 3
I am curious if anyone has a positive (or negative) experience using a "Powerline Network Adapter" such as the one for sale here on Amazon:
www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Y3XRRI8/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

The idea is to use your home's electrical wiring as an extension of your local area network. The kit comes with two adapters. You plug one into a wall socket next to your router/modem connected by an Ethernet cable. The other adapter you take to some far region of your home having poor wi-fi coverage and then plug in the second adapter into a wall socket and connect your laptop to it with an Ethernet cable. Presto! You now have network connectivity, or at least that is the theory.

This is an attractive solution for me. My property is located in a rural setting but has lots of trees and hills to the east and west. Depending on what I want to image I will have to locate the scope to a different location. Up until this point I was certain that I would run all power to the telescope and Pi using a deep-cycle 12V battery. But there is still a missing component: I need network connectivity. I first considered using a wi-fi extender but now I am not very excited about that option after reading a lot of reviews. So I came across these Powerline Network Adapters. Now I am considering running a 100 ft electrical extension cord from my home to the telescope. That would give me power for the drive and the Pi but also, in theory, I should be able to plug in the Powerline Adapter. I am going to give it a try and see what happens.
7 years 5 days ago #15533

Do not use those for AP, at all. Terrible idea to introduce current noise into your optical system.
7 years 5 days ago #15536

• Thank you received: 87

Totally agree! I have tested with 3 different systems and in fact, it's not a good idea. Gave up on that!
Performance is not addequate for AP. At least that was my experience.I am now running a 25m direct Cat5e cable (Cat6 soon) from my house floor to my Atik, connected to the Gigabit Lan port of my router. That's the best experience I had.
Last edit: 7 years 5 days ago by nMAC.
7 years 5 days ago #15549

Thanks all, you've saved me money and heartache!

I think I am just going to run CAT5/6 cable. I am not even going to try wi-fi extenders and waps. I don't think it will turn out well.

Time to get out the measuring tape. If I were to venture a guess, I'd say 200 feet.

One thing I would like to do however is install an outdoors socket. That way I don't have to deal with mosquitoes getting in the house. It should be fairly easy to install since I am on the first floor and have an unfinished basement below me.

Are there any noise concerns with running cat5 in two segments (one from the router to the socket, the other from the socket to the telescope)?
7 years 5 days ago #15554

Excellent choice, you won't regret it. I have a 7 meter cable feom my telescope to the outside socket in the garden, than a 15 meter cable under the house to a powered switch from TP-Link. From there another 15 meter cable to my internal network (+internet) which is another powered switch. From that switch the final 15 meter cable goes to my computer inside. Ping times are about 0.7ms with 0% packet loss and I can stream live video from my 6D at around 5 fps. Downloading a raw file takes 2-3 seconds, and the USB over IP now stays connected during the night if I want to use that. All of these things either didn't work or were way slower before. After a year of fiddling with wifi extenders, I gave up on it. I had great sessions on wifi, but it was more the exception than the rule and this is now reversed. ;)
7 years 5 days ago #15556

Just an update:

High Point Scientific has got a 15% off sale on ZWO products that may last only about a week or until their new inventory is exhausted or Sam pulls the plug on it! I purchased the ASI120MC, a 2.8mm-12mm zoom lens, and a T2-CS adapter: $185.40 with free shipping.

No telescope purchase yet. I am really torn between the "pros" of the ETX-90 and choosing a telescope with a larger aperture. I think the ETX-90 is a great value for $499: Mak-Cass optics, hard carry case, tripod carry bag. The two big negatives are: 3.5 inch aperture (I already have a 3 inch refractor so there will be no great improvement), and no motor focus (not even 3rd party).

So I am holding off on the scope. In the meantime I will be able to connect the ZWO camera to INDI and develop much-needed experience with it. I can do meteor showers with the 150 deg lens. And I have a fondness for appulses of the planets and the Moon; the zoom lens will give me a 30 deg FOV.

I made a trip to Home Depot yesterday and picked up the parts I need to install an outdoors CAT5 socket.
7 years 4 days ago #15602

I have been watching some very good YouTube videos on wiring a home network. Now I see that I can use the four unused wires to carry DC voltage from the router in my office to a switch I want to install in the basement just at the point where the cable goes through the wall to the exterior of the house. Should I not do this?
7 years 4 days ago #15603

Well you can do that, that is what PoE does, but normally you are limited to 48v maximum and need a power injector/divider.
And I would not risk more than that.

You can get some info from here: pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Over_Ethernet
Last edit: 7 years 3 days ago by nMAC.
7 years 3 days ago #15604
Attachments:

Thanks, I learned that it is called PoE, I just failed to mention that in my post. I really just asked the question because of the strong reaction to wanting to try Powerline Ethernet. I figured that there could still be a small amount of crosstalk due to the fact that there is ripple and minor surges when loads change in the house like the refrigerator kicking in. Plus on top of that the PoE wires are running parallel to the signal lines. Sorry, just being anal retentive.
Last edit: 7 years 3 days ago by Brian Morgan.
7 years 3 days ago #15605

I understand why you are asking the question.

Well the thing is, PoE and Powerline are not the same thing. With powerline you are using an already existing power electrical cable to transfer data
between systems. There's a lot that can interfere with this system. Noise, outlets, cable splits, etc.

With PoE you are using a special standard for ethernet cables that carries current that is needed for a network device to function using separate cables.
Also, by design, twisted pair cables are highly resistant to interference pickup, so they are better and you want to carry DC, so interference is minimum or none.

To use that technology you need an injector on the power side. Normally the devices must be PoE compatible, if not you need another equipment.
It seems you want to use it for other purpose, well I never tried that. Maybe it's possible too.
Last edit: 7 years 3 days ago by nMAC.
7 years 3 days ago #15606

@supernov, at the time I read your post I was intrigued by the maximum "15 meter" length between your devices. After running the numbers, wishing to do PoE, I came up with a maximum acceptable distance to the switch of 45 feet given a 5V power supply and 21AWG effective wire gauge (twisted pair). Should I be surprised that the laws of nature are the same for you and me?
7 years 3 days ago #15615

Time to create page: 0.281 seconds