INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Ekos Polar Alignment Assistant (Beta) is here!

• Thank you received: 1
Which version is this and can we get daily updates?
7 years 1 month ago #14463
The topic has been locked.
It's the same PPA version.
The following user(s) said Thank You: julian J griffiths
7 years 1 month ago #14465
  • Thank you received: 34
is the beta available in the official git repository of kstars? I just compiled from git but I can see not the new Ekos Polar Alignment Assistant.
--= human, without Windows™ =--
pls excuse my bad english! :)
7 years 1 month ago #14469
sorry! forgot to "make install" :blush:
7 years 1 month ago #14471
Wow great! I just successfuly finished my first Ekos Polar Alignment Assistant (Beta) with real sky and with my primary 150/600 scope with a Canon 700D as cam. :woohoo:
I recorded a video of the session. Most of the time was waiting for the canon to finish exposure and to correctly position with the alt/az bolts which can be a bit tricky with that slow feedback from the canon. In live view with a bright star this could be much more easier. After the alignment was done I did align again to verify the precicion that looked quite good so far.

One thing is strange. It seems after taking the first image the scope slews not (my preselected) 15° West but instead it seems to slew to the opposite site in RA. Then after the image was taken it slews back again to the opposite to take the last image. Is this intended?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
7 years 1 month ago #14476
  • Thank you received: 226
Meridian flip maybe? I'm guessing you first manually positioned the mount for the first capture, then it triggered a slew, found it was on the wrong side of the peir, then the next slew was on the other side of the meridian and it flipped again.
7 years 1 month ago #14478
  • Thank you received: 3
Hi,
everything refers to German Equatorial Mount - is there any reason why it wouldn't work with a fork mount? Perhaps just a terminology issue?
cheers
Gary
7 years 1 month ago #14479
I asked Jean-Luc to look at the abrupt RA change.

You need a polar axis. If you're using an equatorial wedge for your forked mount telescope then it might be applicable.
7 years 1 month ago #14483
I am inexperienced with the term "meridian flip" but maybe it was one.
That are roughly the positions that my scope slewed.

From that start position and if I select "West,15°" shouldnt the RA axis turn counter-clockwise 15° and make a meridian flip unnecessary?

Obviously ekos seems to do the right thing. My starting position was RA 18:44, then for the next image it slew to RA 17:44 and that is indeed 15°. Then the final slew again 15° to RA 16:44.
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by pauledd.
7 years 1 month ago #14485
  • Thank you received: 1
I am finding is does crash often, when I look at Fits images. It seams to crash every time i use this area. I have not got a log as it happens too often. For the image quality, the green has gone. Thank you. I am doing a clean install and try again.

Still testing.
7 years 1 month ago #14486
  • Thank you received: 165
Might have something to do with the crash I get on Pi 3 after second image in a sequence if I have fits viewer active or if I load a fits file and close the window:

#0 FITSData::loadWCS (this=0x344a178)
at /build/kstars-bleeding-kznYv7/kstars-bleeding-16.12+201702130759~ubuntu16.04.1/kstars/fitsviewer/fitsdata.cpp:2130
#1 0x0018e7e8 in QtConcurrent::StoredMemberFunctionPointerCall0<bool, FITSData>::runFunctor (this=0x328d918)
at /usr/include/arm-linux-gnueabihf/qt5/QtConcurrent/qtconcurrentstoredfunctioncall.h:183
#2 0x0006cec2 in QtConcurrent::RunFunctionTask<bool>::run (this=0x328d918)
at /usr/include/arm-linux-gnueabihf/qt5/QtConcurrent/qtconcurrentrunbase.h:102
#3 0x757c66ca in ?? () from /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libQt5Core.so.5
#4 0x757c8b42 in ?? () from /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libQt5Core.so.5
#5 0x762c75b4 in start_thread () from /lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libpthread.so.0
#6 0x75327aac in ?? () from /lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libc.so.6

Sounds weird that it would call loadWCS when I close the window. Also fits viewer says my fits doesn't have WCS info even though it does.

I tried debugging this on my own compiled kstars and the code in question is:
                p->ra  = world[0];
                p->dec = world[1];

and the p pointer is invalid at this point. The p array is quite big one (width * height * 2 * sizeof(double), in this case 3326*2504*2*8 = around 127 megabytes) so I don't know if it's running out of memory or something... What is this huge array used for?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
7 years 1 month ago #14489
I changed it now so that it uses floats instead of doubles, so hopefully half the size. This is used for world coordinate system. At any rate, can you pull, compile, and let me know how it goes? loadWCS is only called when you open, but it's threaded so perhaps....

hmmmm (back after a few mins). What could be causing this is maybe when you are closing the image, the loadWCS is still running. I tried adding a statement to make it wait a bit in that case. Please try again.
7 years 1 month ago #14491
Time to create page: 0.713 seconds