INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Dome Sync Gateway not producing timely GOTO commands

• Thank you received: 1
Thanks Wildi, it is great to have your help!

I looked up RTS2 - I didn't know about it, and it looks pretty neat. I see that it wants Ubuntu to compile. I am running a late model OS X on a Jurassic era Mac Mini (2010). Is that going to be a problem, or do you think it will work out of the box?

Thanks,

Scott
7 years 3 weeks ago #14925

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 19
Hello Scott and Ferran

I have not seen RTS2 on OSX (and I would not try it, at least not for this purpose). There is an easier way: use Docker which provides an Ubuntu container on your OSX computer. But this is a several hours task.

My idea is, that Ferran produces a similar table with his code and depending on the results we know better where to dig deeper.
I read through my original notes and found that I was checking my code against Toshimi Taki's "reference implementation" saying it is identical (see www.geocities.jp/toshimi_taki/matrix/matrix.htm paragraph Applications and my similar plot: azug.minpet.unibas.ch/wikiobsvermes/images/9/97/DomeSync.jpg)

ciao, wildi
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
Last edit: 7 years 3 weeks ago by Markus Wildi.
7 years 3 weeks ago #14927

Dear Wildi - I think I will start by getting some numbers from the debug side of INDI - if I am still confused, I will go to the work of installing the code you mentioned!

My sincere thanks,

Scott
7 years 3 weeks ago #14932

• Thank you received: 25
Hi,

I created a google spreadsheet with all the calculations for dome sync.
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FWN0S7kG...HIo/edit?usp=sharing

Editing the blue cells you get the telescope and dome azimutal coordinates in orange cells.

There you can check if INDI dome get the same result or if there is something wrong.

The difference with Toshimi Taki's solution is my solution allows E-W telescope adjustment.

Regards,
Ferran
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
7 years 3 weeks ago #14946

This looks straightforward! Thanks! I will get going on it this afternoon!

Scott
7 years 3 weeks ago #14947

I forget to say if the telescope is at west of the mount, then you need to put OTA negative.
7 years 3 weeks ago #14965

Hello all,

First, to fcasarra: Thanks for the spreadsheet! That I could do easily, and the results were interesting.

Here are the new tests from last night. The high level summary: The values calculated in the spreadsheet are different than those from INDI (Server, ICP, AT, etc), and appear to be even less correct than INDI.

Here is a detailed description:

1) I polar aligned the scope as an absolute positional reference.

2) I shown a flashlight through the polar scope port of my CGEM DX. It's wide illumination filled the port, and illuminated a point on the dome that is presumably within 1 degree of north. No amount of flashlight tipping would move the spot (it isn't a laser, it is a broad; see the attached picture named DefiningNorth). I defined the positioning of the dome to be at 0 degrees when the spot was centered on the shutter.

Last edit: 7 years 3 weeks ago by F. Scott Anderson.
7 years 3 weeks ago #14991
Attachments:

Continued from above:

3) Next, I decided to test the dome positioning at two positions that I think simplify the issues. I first put the scope on the East side of the mount dead flat, looking due north (see figure and picture). I believe this will remove any issues of offsets in pier position in the N-S direction. Thus, the only measurement problems I can have are E-W offsets, Up-Down offsets, and OTA length offsets.

In this position, the spreadsheet says the dome should be at 0.2°, INDI places the dome should be at 11°, and I estimate the dome actually needs to be at about 18° to be centered. Though it is hard to see in the picture, about 1/3 of my scope view is occluded by the dome in this position.

The software settings are shown in the attached image. Sorry for the crazy moire patterns. I also include the spreadsheet showing the 0.2° recommended position. Note that I have gzipped the file to allow it to be included here. I added .tar to the name also, to allow it to be uploaded, but it is NOT tar'd. Just rename it to DomeSlitEast.xlsx.gz, then gunzip it, and it should be a regular excel file.

File Attachment:

File Name: DomeSlitEa...x.tar.gz
File Size:9 KB
7 years 3 weeks ago #14992
Attachments:

4) Next, I repeated this test in the west. Note I changed the meridian setting in ICP to West. In this position, the scope was not occluded, but only just barely. The spreadsheet thought the angle should be -2.6°, INDI called for 341.8°, and I would estimate that it actually needed to be ~339°. Pictures, and spreadsheet below.

I interpret this to suggest that the the length of the OTA offset needs to be bigger, and the pier offset E-W larger as well.

File Attachment:

File Name: DomeSlitWe...x.tar.gz
File Size:9 KB
7 years 3 weeks ago #14993
Attachments:

5) As measurement 4 made me suspicious of my OTA offset, I include a picture of measuring it. It looks close to 14.5 to 15 inches, or 0.38 m, accounting for the parallax in the image and being on the hypotenuse instead of the desired quantity. See picture below. However, INDI seems to work better if I use 0.5 m. Then the dome rotates far enough in the E and W positions to not occlude the scope. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find and E-W offset that will center it. It seems to want a very big number, like 1m, that makes no sense, and only works on one side of the dome.

So what am I doing wrong?

As always, my sincere thanks,

Scott

7 years 3 weeks ago #14994
Attachments:

Scott, Do you have a debug log?

It can be useful, because many partial calculations are logged.

Sorry for not been more supportive but I have not many free time this days.
7 years 2 weeks ago #15035

Though I promised to record one, I forgot. Fortunately, this behavior is highly repeatable, so I will redo the measurements this weekend, and record a log.

Thanks for your support,

Scott
7 years 2 weeks ago #15043

Time to create page: 3.056 seconds