INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Autofocus in Ekos

• Thank you received: 32

Autofocus in Ekos was created by Bill

Hey guys,

Is there currently a way to invoke the auto focus routine when the temperature sensor detects a user defined change? I.e. temp outside changes by 1C, auto focus kicks in.
7 years 1 month ago #14967

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic Autofocus in Ekos

Nope it's HFR dependent. It shouldn't matter what caused the HFR change (temperature or otherwise), but if it DOES change, then autofocus should kick in.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bill
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by Jasem Mutlaq.
7 years 1 month ago #14969

Replied by Bill on topic Autofocus in Ekos

Thanks Jasem.

If I have Ekos set to store my sequence data on the INDI Server and not my client, can I still use HFR based auto focus? I would assume not?
7 years 1 month ago #14977

Yes you can!
7 years 1 month ago #14979

• Thank you received: 62

Replied by Magnus Larsson on topic Autofocus in Ekos

Hi!

This triggered my curiosity. I'm interested in reducing the unnecessary traffic between the Indi-server (raspberry) and Ekos client (laptop). So what does it mean when you are storing sequence data on the indi server? Do you save the captured subs there, or which data? I'd be interested in not having to download frames to the EKOS client when focusing, but to do the whole processing at the Indi server, so as to reduce download time.

Magnus
7 years 1 month ago #14980

It means storing the captured images on the Raspberry PI. But for focus to work, the image needs to be transmitted back to Ekos. This is handled transparently by Ekos.
7 years 1 month ago #14982

Replied by Bill on topic Autofocus in Ekos

Yes, you are storing the captured data on the Pi. This is very important for folks that use Cooled CMOS cameras that tend to take large sums of shorter exposures, versus the traditional longer exposures of CCD's. The time it takes to download a capture to my PC from the Pi is about 12-14 seconds. If I were taking 300 images that night (not uncommon) I would spend up to 70 minutes doing downloads. By storing them locally the download takes about 2 seconds, which is only about 10 minutes of time spent over the night doing downloads. Much better!

Not downloading the frames for focus to the client wouldn't work. The focus logic is all in the client, so it needs an image file to work from. Since the focus module uses subframe, I would imagine that the actual traffic to the client during autofocus would be minimal. Same thing applies to guide camera data.

Anyhow, Jasem, awesome that we can do this!
7 years 1 month ago #14984

Time to create page: 0.253 seconds