INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Problems with installing Python wrappers for INDI

• Thank you received: 88
I don't think making a fresh install is necessary. If you download the pyindi-client package, untar it, modify the line in setup.cfg
libraries= z nova cfitsio
and run python setup.py install --user, that should work if you don't have already installed the package.If setup finds it is already there it may not reinstall anything. In this case you should run python setup.py build --force and python setup.py install --user.
Give me the output of these setup build and install commands and what displays the PyIndi import.
Normally with the --user flag, the resulting package is installed in ~/.local/ so a good thing would be to test it with
ls -l ~/.local/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pyindi_client-0.1.0a1-py3.5-linux-x86_64.egg/
ldd -v ~/.local/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pyindi_client-0.1.0a1-py3.5-linux-x86_64.egg/_PyIndi.cpython-35m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so
Replace the python version with the one you use, and also the architecture name.
And the good idea is not to refresh the tutorial page, but modify the setup scripts for the new libindi version (and pip which tells you to use version numbers, but now consider that 0.1.0a1 is not enough a version number).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
7 years 1 week ago #15382

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 12
it works :cheer: :woohoo:

Amazing. I can import the PyIndi library without error. Really good. I spend 3 days on this, my eyes are tired and blood tinted.

It's time to go to bed. Big thank you. Next step is to download a picture. I'll keep you in touch geehalel.
Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon using PPA for latest KStars-bleeding and INDI
Raspberry Pi 3 B+ with StellarMate
Atik 314E - ASI120M - CG5 with Celestron C9.25
7 years 1 week ago #15389

Great that it works now! Does the Python INDI tutorial requires any updates?
7 years 1 week ago #15394

• Thank you received: 88
Nice that it is working now on your setup,
I don't think I should change the tutorial, but we may now define the right dependencies in libindi.pc for static linking. Actually maybe we should consider the client case and the driver case. Quickly looking at the built libs, there is now only one static libindiclient.a library (the qt version has gone?), and two static (libindidriver.a+libindiAlignmanetDriver.a) driver libraries plus their dynamic versions. Is there a reason to not make a dynamic client version ?
Anyway you have added the Libs.private item in libindi.pc so I may use a Python pkgconfig package to get the right flags. But that won't work for preceding libindi versions and will add a python dependency. I think I'll simply change the libraries line (and leave the preceding version as a comment) and change the pre version flag to avoid the use of the --pre flag in pip.
7 years 1 week ago #15402

There is no dynamic client library offered by default because the API/ABI is still in flux and while we have control over most drivers to keep them in sync with these changes, we do not have controls over the various clients so it is better if they are statically linked with the INDI client library to avoid any issues until a time when the ABI/API is very stable.
7 years 1 week ago #15436

Time to create page: 0.364 seconds