INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Image Autoguiding

• Thank you received: 57

Replied by Paweł on topic Image Autoguiding

If we would use my quick and dirty test procedure in single-core interpreted language it would use 100% CPU and run like molasses ;) But we are not going to. This test was rather to check my understanding of the algorithm and to approximate the *upper* bound of the processing time. I thing that the lower bound is around 50ms/frame (or 20fps) on RPi2 using GPUFFT. This would be a desperate measure since it needs root access and is not very portable. My plan is to use FFTW3 which is a well-optimized, portable FFT library. With this approach I hope for 2-5 fps on RPi2 and much better on regular PC.
Last edit: 7 years 3 days ago by Paweł.
7 years 3 days ago #15638

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 809

Replied by Rob Lancaster on topic Image Autoguiding

Awesome, sounds great!
7 years 3 days ago #15643

• Thank you received: 95

Replied by Oleg on topic Image Autoguiding

What's new in this project?
You can try my open project Astronomy Linux
6 years 6 months ago #18917

• Thank you received: 57

Replied by Paweł on topic Image Autoguiding

Not much - since I got swamped by work and other duties - but it is not abandoned at all. Thanks for the ping.
Unfortunately the FFT libraries are much more convoluted in their API then I thought - using them from the higher-level languages. There is a substantial amount of code to write to prepare the data before transformation if we want to keep it portable. Jasem has written small bits in ekos to interface with it if I remember correctly but I got stuck on joining them together. I was hoping to return to my indi projects in autumn. Not yet :(.
6 years 5 months ago #19935

• Thank you received: 30

Replied by T-Studio on topic Image Autoguiding

I expect that the function will be realized.
If possible, I would like you to add live stacking mode and realize it.
This function is introduced to shops in Japan now and is gaining attention as a new viewing method.

kyoei-tokyo-astrodivision.hatenablog.jp/entry/2017/10/12/190618
6 years 4 months ago #20731

• Thank you received: 301

Replied by Eric on topic Re:Image Autoguiding

About live stacking, it's a different story. There are multiple places where this could be implemented in Ekos+indi. There is an attempt inside the V4L2 driver itself, but it doesn't play well with Ekos and also doesn't match the expectations of users. The important point on this feature is for the user to see the object appear progressively, in a pedagogical way. That's what Atik implemented with Infinity, and the results are great. You should open a wish list item on this to discuss the idea.

-Eric

-Eric
6 years 4 months ago #20735

Time to create page: 0.234 seconds