INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

INDI on Windows Subsystem for Linux

• Thank you received: 32
Hello all,

I have been playing around with the Windows Subsystem for Linux the last few days, and decided to see if INDI would install and run on it. For those unaware, the WSL is a Windows feature that allows you to run a Ubuntu image directly on Windows. No VM or any of that magic needed. The current live version of the WSL only allows for Ubuntu 14, however with some keen usage of the interwebs I was able to get it upgraded to 16.04.

Once upgraded I was able to download and run the INDI package fine, however it seems that the WSL doesn't allow for hardware, other than disk drives and minor networking to be available to the Ubuntu image. So, while INDI would load and run, and my local installation of KStars could connect to the INDI Server -- no devices could load at all. Not even the simulators.

The Windows box I was testing this on was not on the latest 15063 build of Windows 10, but I added it to the insider fast ring, and the build finally appeared this morning. I am going to get this build of Windows installed, which has a WSL that uses Ubuntu 16.04 out of the box, and see if there are any improvements that would allow INDI to work better.
7 years 3 days ago #15634

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Quick follow up - new build installed, same problem. Doesn't seem to have access to any devices. Oh well maybe later.
7 years 3 days ago #15637

INDI actually now builds on Cygwin and I was able to run it with the simulators just fine. But I didn't have time to pursue this further. If you have a Cygwin environment, you can build INDI on it. I didn't try it with any hardware, but maybe serial port stuff would work if nothing else.
7 years 3 days ago #15648

Yeah once the WSL failed, I pretty much gave up on it. Far easier to just suggest folks go the RPi3 route. Way less hassle.
7 years 3 days ago #15650

Time to create page: 0.158 seconds