INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

INDI on MacOS X and Homebrew

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Gerrit on topic INDI on MacOS X and Homebrew

Hi Peter,

I tested the new indi driver on mac os x and kubuntu 15-10. ubuntu 15-10 on a vm-image and a physical instance.

I used my Atik Art 11000 for testing.

On ubuntu connecting the camera one time fails, other time it works.
But any way: Training the make a picture lasts very long and deliveres no results (must be stopped manually)
The same is true on Mac os x. Using the AstroImager-App and connecting to the indiserver.app capturing an image hangs.
Capturing an image directly with the astroimager works.

So, I ask me, what is going wrong. Can you help here?
Regards,
Gerrit
8 years 5 months ago #5985

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 174
Hi Gerrit,
can you try to run atik_ccd_test (from linux package) and send the output to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.?
Thank you, Peter
8 years 5 months ago #5990

Replied by Gerrit on topic INDI on MacOS X and Homebrew

Hi Peter,

you have a mail. But sometimes it works. Now I did another test: Running indiservr on a physical machine, using the camera from egos in virtual box gest..it works
Regargs,
Gerrit
8 years 5 months ago #5991

Thank you Gerrit, I'll fix it and let you know. Peter
8 years 5 months ago #5995

Hi, ATIK 11000 issue is hopefully fixed in ATIK INDI drivers 0.41 and INDI Server for OS X 2.1.2. Peter
8 years 5 months ago #6001

• Thank you received: 46

I've never used homebrew before, but this was intriguing, so I tried it on the iMac. I had a few tribulations along the way, thought I'd document them for anybody else heading down this road. The above link does give instructions for installing homebrew, but for the first time user, a couple of steps are left out. I eventually got it all figured out, then, decided it's time to clean all the cruft off of my Mac, so I started by doing a fresh osx install, 10.10.5.

After that, I followed the directions for installing astrometry.net located here

The key bit I missed on my first attempt, which caused all sorts of build problems, and diagnosed eventually with 'brew doctor', was installing xcode command line utilities. I assumed a full install included those, but it didn't. xcode-select --install fixed that. Then jump thru the hoops listed for pip on the above linked page. Once that's done, tap homebrew-science and install astrometry.net. After the install, edit /usr/local/etc/astrometry.cfg to point at wherever you put your index files.

When that's all done, follow the tap / install instructions above for indi quoted above, and voila, it all 'just works' now.

The whole point of the exercise, my winter project is a bunch of semi-customized clients for use with the observatory once it's built, and I want them to be able to run on my linux boxes, and my wife's mac. Think I'm well on the way now, and as mentioned above, I am already liking homebrew a lot better than macports. time will tell if it stays that way. The next step in the process, is building and linking my own client to all of this. The plan right now is to use wx as the underlying gui library so I can build the same sources on mac and linux, time will tell how well that works.
8 years 4 months ago #6046

Be careful with upgrading to 10.11, homebrew doesn't work with El Capitan correctly yet... Peter
8 years 4 months ago #6047

Hi, INDI Server for OSX 2.1.4 is based on INDI 1.1 r2578 and contains among other ASI ZWO and SBIG drivers. Unfortunately, I can't test it as far as I don't have hardware. Is there anybody who can try it? Thank you, Peter

download.cloudmakers.eu/INDI_Server_2.1.4.dmg
8 years 4 months ago #6119

I downloaded and installed on the mac. Indi server seems to start correctly, and I can connect to it both locally and from a linux box over the network.

I downloaded the sbig driver stuff from the sbig site, install it all. ST-10 doesn't get recognized by the indi server with sbig driver running, complains it cannot connect. So, I downloaded ccdops lite from sbig site, to verify the camera is working. Ccdops lite doesn't find the camera either.

Not really sure how to diagnose the issue on the mac, but, right now I suspect the problem is that the firmware is not being loaded into the fx on the sbig, and I'm not quite sure how to do that offhand. I dont know what the equivalent for fxload on the mac is, to force load camera firmware by hand.
8 years 4 months ago #6139

Ok, after jumping thru more hoops, I got indi server working with the sbig driver on the mac. I'm on yosemite here stil, and the magic trick is:-
sudo nvram boot-args="-v kext-dev-mode=0"

You need to turn off enforcement of driver signing, then things start to work. The sbig stuff is apparently not signed.

After I got the indi server running with the sbig driver, connected to it over the network using kstars on the linux box and I'm able to manipulate my st-10. Preliminary quick checks, I set a temperature, took a shot, and changed filters in the cfw-10, all seemed to work. Taking a 1 second dark delivers an almost black image, 1 second light gives a nearly saturated image, both of which are correct for where I have the camera sitting. on the floor in broad daylight. So the shutter seems to be working correctly.
8 years 4 months ago #6142

INDI Server for OS X 2.1.9 with untested QSI CCD driver is available. Any feedback from QSI owners is welcome :) Peter

www.cloudmakers.eu/indiserver
8 years 3 months ago #6660

Replied by iapa on topic INDI on MacOS X and Homebrew

Hi, as I am looking to use my QHY 6 CCD under OSX, per link earlier in this thread I have just downloaded v2.0.13 (1.0.0.2219) which has QHY CCD drivers

Using the link on the website, I downloaded 2.1.8 which no longer seems to have the QHY devices listed.

Is this an oversight, or has QHY been dropped?

Is there a timescale to reinstate this?

Thanks
8 years 3 months ago #6707

Time to create page: 1.007 seconds