INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Astroberry Server

• Thank you received: 375

Replied by Radek Kaczorek on topic Astroberry Server

You can do it by editing /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stephen
6 years 7 months ago #18448
The topic has been locked.
  • Thank you received: 24

Replied by Stephen on topic Astroberry Server

Perfect! Thank you, I could not find it.
6 years 7 months ago #18449

Replied by Stephen on topic Astroberry Server

I wish to confirm whether this setup should work before I dig much further.

I have a wireless hotspot - HOOTOO travelmate - that I can connect via wifi on my mac, and the hotspot is connected to my home lan. This works as I write this note :)

I would like the astroberry server to connect to this same hotspot so that I can reach it. The intent is that the astroberry server will automatically connect to this hotspot.

sudo wlanconf was used to add the hotspot and password to astroberry.

This does not seem to work. The only way, unless I am using Ethernet, to connect to the Astroberry is to use its AP. When I use the access point, I cannot via ifconfig find any connect to the hotspot.

Any ideas?

Thank you
6 years 7 months ago #18456

Well, it should work without any problem. Make sure that your hotspot is set to WPA/WPA2 mode and check /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf file to confirm that your wireless configuration is OK. That's exactly what I use in the field, while away from my home network. I use LTE hotspot and I connect Astroberry Server to it so I have Internet access. In such the case I can connect to Astroberry Server over local network setup by the hotspot and/or directly via astroberry hotspot. Not mentioning public IP, while port forwarding is properly configured on the hotspot.
6 years 7 months ago #18457

Listing available wireless networks has been fixed. Please run astroberry-update to refresh your system. Any comments welcomed
6 years 7 months ago #18480
  • Thank you received: 3

Replied by Pepe on topic Astroberry Server

Hi again!

Thanks for your help on connecting to astroberry server. I am still struggling with my windows computer but focused on MAC in order to proceed further.

I just tried to connect to my home wifi to run astroberry-update. I left the Pi idle for some minutes and when I returned I just found a black screen. I thought this is the screensaver but moving the mouse doesn't let the black screen disappear. Now I can't access the astroberry desktop anymore.

Do you experience the same thing and know how to circumvent this?

Thanks and best wishes
Stephan
6 years 7 months ago #18503

I think it is an issue with VNC server (used to access desktop with internet browser). Does the issue persist after reboot? You can reboot by accessing terminal over ssh, then run "sudo reboot" to safely restart the device. If it persists after reboot try removing /home/astroberry.Xauthority file and reboot again.
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by Radek Kaczorek.
6 years 7 months ago #18509

Replied by Stephen on topic Re:Astroberry Server

I can confirm the black screen that happens with VNC. I have used the same solution when it happens: sudo reboot via ssh.

Sometimes it can take 1-2 reboots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
6 years 7 months ago #18513

Replied by Stephen on topic Re:Astroberry Server

Yay! I do not know what changed. The astroberry server connected to the hotspot and saved the imaging session.

I got to travel to a dark sight without Ian/wan.

Turning the hotspot on the astroberry connected, and all iOS and Mac were connecting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The following user(s) said Thank You: Radek Kaczorek
6 years 7 months ago #18578

Replied by Radek Kaczorek on topic Re:Astroberry Server

Thanks for confirming everything works fine. Dark skies!
6 years 7 months ago #18585
  • Thank you received: 29

Replied by Helge on topic Re:Astroberry Server

Dear Radek,

Can you possibly help: I wanted to try creating remote access via internet. What do I need to enter as Host? It works fine if I am within my wlan network (just inputting astroberry.local) in the KStars profile editor (see attached picture).

I was obtaining my IP address using myip.is, and opened port 7624 in my router for the astroberry.local. I tried inputting as Host my ip-address:astroberry.local, e.g.

15.123.456.789:astroberry.local - that did not work. Also tried just the ip-address.

Btw: do you see any security risk opening the port - since the Raspberry does not have any virus or firewall as such (anything I should pay attention to)?

Best, Helge
6 years 7 months ago #18597
Attachments:

Replied by Radek Kaczorek on topic Re:Astroberry Server

When accessing any host located in your local network from the Internet (using port forwarding), you need to use your public IP. This means that you access such a host at PUBLIC_IP:PORT. The hostname astroberry.local is visible in local network only. If you want to use a hostname instead IP you need to bind it to your public IP eg. using dyndns service or similar.

Security of such a remote access is highly dependent on security of INDI server itself. There is no authentication to the INDI service so virtually anybody can access it.
To improve security of such remote access you can limit source IP to disallow anybody accessing the service. Another thing would be to use high, non-standard port on the public side mapped to 7624 on the local side - it's not really securing anything except it might obscure your INDI service port from standard scans.
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by Radek Kaczorek.
6 years 7 months ago #18598
Moderators: Radek Kaczorek
Time to create page: 1.092 seconds