INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Linguider vs PHD2

• Thank you received: 76

Linguider vs PHD2 was created by Derek

I'm using linguider with EKOS and it seems fine. I'm wondering if its worth installing PHD2. Do people get better results?
My mount is not 'fantastic' so anything I can do to improve my guiding I'm willing to try...

Thanks,
Derek
6 years 10 months ago #16855

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 24

Replied by Stephen on topic Linguider vs PHD2

In case it helps, I previously used lin_guider on RPI3 using Ekos. It seemed to work okay.

I am now using PHD2 with the same setup and it does seem to provide better tracking (when I have not messed something else up). Better means I seem to be able to get .5" to -.5" peak to peak, vs. the 1" to -1" I seemed to get with lin_guider. This may not be a software thing though, and my be just the additional experience over time.

The biggest learning for me is to use the Guide Assistant for 2-3 minutes, for my C11 at f10. This guide assistance helps with the seeing for the particular night.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Derek
6 years 10 months ago #16856

• Thank you received: 76

Replied by Derek on topic Linguider vs PHD2

Thanks, wow +- 0.5" is great. I sometimes have to deal with +-3.0"!!
Actually I've been using the build in guider not lin_guider. I thought it was the same thing.

Just installed PHD2 on my laptop and playing with EKOS simulators. It seems very easy to setup so I'll give it a shot in the observatory PC next clear night.
6 years 10 months ago #16857

I will get the occasional spike of 2+. It is not clear why when there is no wind.

I have had more success with PHD2 and lowpass2, vs. Hysteresis.

I am only guessing that the use of minMo per the guide assistance and the lowering of the aggressiveness. Is what is allowing for the +/-/5" The lowering of the aggressiveness may be because of backlash issues. Some posts for PHD2 advise turning backlash settings off on the mount and letting PHD2 do its thing. This has not yet worked for me, and due to winter I was not able to test enough given the cold. Hopefully I can learn more over the summer.
6 years 10 months ago #16870

Please know I was wrong in the above. The trend line are typical between the +1" to -1" not the +/- .5.

So it is about 2" peak to peak for my typical tracking. Sorry for the mistake.
6 years 10 months ago #16944

Time to create page: 0.476 seconds