INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Kstars clock and UTC offsets

• Thank you received: 0
I'm running the latest indi RPI image to control a Celestron CPC800, QSI 583 CCD, Starshoot autoguider and Microtouch focuser.

I'm connecting to KSTARS through EKOS VM 1.6 and note some discrepancies in the Kstars clock, vs. Ekos VM, RPi, WIndows and my telescope.

I think the UTC offsets in KStars are off/backwards. My current location is in the US Pacific time zone. With Daylight Savings time, the UTC Offset is currently -7.
During Standard time it is -8. I have verified the time/time zone settings on my Raspberry Pi, Windows PC and in Ekos VM are correct, however when I define a custom site in KStars with a correct offset of -7, the Kstars time is one hour ahead of the rest of the clocks I am using. If I set the offset to -8, my telescope then thinks it is located in the Mountain time zone.

I'm sure this can't be very good for accuracy. Any idea what may be going on or how I can remedy this? I have attached a screen grab shoing the time difference btween Kstars/Ekos

Thanks
6 years 10 months ago #17079
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 11
I have a similar anomaly. I'm in Dubai, United Arab Emirates, UTC +4.00

I've been thinking; is the KStars UTC time accurate relative to precise GPS location (I do use GPSD taking details from a NEO-6M GPS on one of my Rpi3) rather than General Time Zone? I will try and check again later today what the actually off set is.

I like the idea of such accuracy but would like some options to be displayed.
Skywatcher 190MN - EQ6 Pro (with Belt Mod) - ASI1600MM-Cooled - ASI EFW7 - ASI120MM - WO f4 Guide Scope - Rigel nStep - KStars/Ekos - KDE - PixInsight
6 years 10 months ago #17080

• Thank you received: 109

Replied by Jim on topic Kstars clock and UTC offsets

I had a similar problem, The gpsd would report the correct offset, but kstars did some extra calcs that were not needed. There was a recent patch to master, but not sure it made it into the VM image yet. Here is a link to the changes: github.com/indilib/indi/pull/229
6 years 10 months ago #17083

Sounds like it is in the process of gettingfixed and released, so that's great.

Now, if only the clouds would part long enough for me to complete my testing...

Thanks
6 years 10 months ago #17089

The GPSD issue is NOT related to the problem reported above.

Jevans, why don't you set your mount to use Standard Time?
6 years 10 months ago #17095

I can sure give that a try. I did run last night with the mount set to Pacific time and KStars defaulting to Mountain, but it didn't affect pointing in any way, so perhaps it doesn't matter.

Thanks Jasem.
6 years 10 months ago #17141

Time to create page: 0.461 seconds