INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Celestron Quick Align and EKOS

• Thank you received: 0
I seem to be having an issue when using the Quick Align option on my Celestron Nexstar 11" GoTo fork mount. The procedure goes like this

1. Plug USB Cables and power on Laptop
2. I switch on the scope and select Quick Align on the hand controller
3. Start EKOS and select start indi service
4. Press Connect
5. EKOS then connects for a few seconds and says the telescope in on-line. But then after a few seconds errors appear in the dialogue box saying "Problem communication with the mount". And a Super Nova information update error appears.

Worked on this for a few days thinking it maybe the mount, USB Converter and Linux but when using Cartes Du Ciel with INDI on the same Linux machine as EKOS, CDC has no issues connecting and driving the scope. Also ASCOM on an XP machine while using the same cables has no problems. They can both drive the scope when Quick Align has been selected.

The problem seems to be around EKOS. I've attached a screen shot of the error message. But does anyone have any ideas.

Last edit: 10 years 2 months ago by Carl.
10 years 2 months ago #669
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Does the INDI driver work with Celstron if another alignment mode is performed within the handset? This is an INDI issue (not Ekos), so if Cartes Du Ciel is working OK, it is probably using a different indi_celestrongps driver. How do you select the driver in Cartes Du Ciel?
10 years 2 months ago #671

Replied by Carl on topic Celestron Quick Align and EKOS

EKOS doesn't perform when other alignments modes are used, yet CDC does.

The ultimate goal is to use a raspberry Pi so I did try another scenario. I loaded INDI onto the Pi and set the INDI server on the PI running. Then proceeded to perform the same test using EKOS and CDC and after countless reconfigurations, reboots and realignment got the same results. EKOS wouldn't play ball even. The same errors appeared. It would connect this time to via the Pi then start to say it was disconnected. But CDC works without any issues both local and through the Pi

Below is a screen shot of where I'm selecting the driver from on CDC (running in local mode) and I don't believe I have any other instances of INDI server installed as the Linux laptop was installed using a full wipe.

I do work in I.T as a PC/Systems administrator. So I am diagnosing issues on a regular basis hence going off the above made me think it was perhaps an EKOS issue.

Regards

Carl

10 years 2 months ago #675
Attachments:

Again, this is NOT an Ekos issue, Ekos is a just a front end. The messages you're getting are coming from the INDI driver. You can actually run the celestron driver from the Device Manager in the tools menu (without Ekos) and you will get the same results. I'd like you to verify the port in the Options tab in INDI control panel just to make sure. Also, run indiserver from the command line with indi_celestron_gps and try connecting to celstron driver using the "Client" tab (localhost, 7624) in KStars Device Manager and check if that produces the same results.
10 years 2 months ago #676

I can confirm the port I am using is 7624

Yes it does produce the same results. Below is a screen shot of what is being displayed

Afterwards I ran indi_celestron_gps and CDC together and I can CDC connecting and it was able to drive the scope
Last edit: 10 years 2 months ago by Carl.
10 years 2 months ago #677
Attachments:

I meant the serial port /dev/ttyUSBXXX in the Options tab, was it set to /dev/ttyUSB0?
10 years 2 months ago #679

Sorry....yes it is set to /dev/ttyUSB0
10 years 2 months ago #680

Do you have any further detail as to what could be causing this issue? Do you need anymore information from me

Thank

Carl
10 years 2 months ago #691

It still doesn't make sense, I think I'd probably need an SSH access to investigate this further. Please email me with details if that's possible.
10 years 2 months ago #692

Just sent you message via the contributor page.
10 years 2 months ago #699

I just tested indi_celestron_gps today with Celestron Advanced GT with Quick Align and it worked flawlessly. I'm not really sure what the issue with you could be. Are you sure you only have on instance of the driver in the system? If you type 'which indi_celestron_gps', what do you get?
10 years 1 month ago #728

/usr/bin/indi_celestron_gps
10 years 1 month ago #730

Time to create page: 0.833 seconds