INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

PA routine and solver question

• Thank you received: 6
If I have done a polar alignment in ekos and am same within 7" and start over why would I get this result from the solver?
Solution coordinates: RA (13h 41m 42s) DEC ( 89° 24' 02\") Telescope Coordinates: RA (12h 59m 07s) DEC ( 90° 00' 00\")
Why would I be so far off in RA and DEC. I have checked that the local time, time zone and location are the same between the mount and kstars. The alignment routine seems to work ok (going to compare it with a PHD2 drift align if my skies ever clear up again), I am just trying to understand how the numbers could be that different.

Thanks,
Eric
6 years 6 months ago #19145

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

This is with telescope simulator? It's not perfect, and as you get near the poles, the number can easily jump around. Your mount starts in an idealized position which is seldom spot-on.
6 years 6 months ago #19146

• Thank you received: 6

This is not with the telescope simulator, it is with my Losmandy Gemini 2.
6 years 6 months ago #19148

Even with a real mount. It starts with idealized values. Only after syncing (hopefully away from the pole) does it start reflecting the 'real' sky.
6 years 6 months ago #19150

• Thank you received: 46
If you have cone error and other alignment issues between mount and telescope, then the solution for center of the camera field will often not be the same as the polar axis of the mount. The polar alignment is about the center of the RA axis, not about the center of the camera field, and the two are rarely the same.
6 years 6 months ago #19225

Time to create page: 0.386 seconds