INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

NexDome

• Thank you received: 46

NexDome was created by Gerry Rozema

I've added a driver to the tree for the NexDome observatory dome. NexDome is located in the 3rdparty tree, it could have gone into the main branch but, I plan to add firmware update capability for the dome controller which will involve carrying hex files along with the driver, hence the placement into the 3rdparty tree.

NexDome is an affordable 2.2 meter observatory dome. The controller to rotate the dome is shipping, the controller for the shutter is in prototype form and not yet shipping, but should be real soon now.

The dome controller is based on an arduino leonardo, for which I wrote the firmware to control the dome.

We currently have one dome installed here, and will be installing a second one in the very near future as we finish construction on our 'his and hers' observatory setup. We live in a rural area on northern vancouver island, under a fairly dark sky. The domes are located about 420 feet from the house, and we put an optical fiber data link between the dome platforms and the house, so it can all be operated remotely.

NexDome folks took a different tack than most astro companies with regards to automation. When I first met them a little over a year ago, they said the goal was an entirely open source solution so that folks so inclined, can tinker with the setup as much as they want. So, the controllers are based on an arduino leonardo type of board, and the firmware for the controllers is all on github. All the drivers have been made available in source form on github as well.

This is a first release, there will be more updates over time as we add capabilities to the system.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Oleg, Dan Holler, Jim, diego
6 years 6 months ago #19370

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by diego on topic NexDome

Thanks for all your work, i don't know if my last message reached you, i am new to indi and the nexdome driver does not show up after updating.... can you please let me know how to install it?
6 years 6 months ago #19393

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic NexDome

They should be available by tomorrow.

EDIT: If you want to install it today, just run sudo apt-get install indi-nexdome
The following user(s) said Thank You: diego
Last edit: 6 years 6 months ago by Jasem Mutlaq.
6 years 6 months ago #19394

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by diego on topic NexDome

Last night i updated my Leonardo and installed the NEXDOME driver on INDI and also the NEW version on Windows...

First, when testing INDI, and after having issues with my mount, i decided to test the NEXDOME implementation, it connects to the board, i start homing the dome, the sensor stops the dome on the right place but somehow the board is not sending the message to the driver saying AT HOME!!! so i can't use the dome!!!!
I had used the dome before from SGP using the ASCOM driver, all fine, but now with the new firmware and ascom driver i have the same problem, it starts the homing procedure, stops at the sensor, doesn't report back to ASCOM that it is there, so it never enables the calibrate button....
Don't know how to get error codes or log from INDI but managed to get this from the ASCOM SGP error window.

ee the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at ASCOM.NexDome.Dome.CommandString(String Command, Boolean Raw)
at ASCOM.NexDome.Dome.DomeCommand(String Command)
at ASCOM.NexDome.SetupForm.TimerEventProcessor(Object myObject, EventArgs myEventArgs)
at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.OnTick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.TimerNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 4.6.1650.0 built by: NETFXREL3STAGE
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
Sequence Generator
Assembly Version: 2.6.0.24
Win32 Version: 2.6.0.24
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Sequence%20Generator/Sequence%20Generator.exe
System.Runtime.Serialization
Win32 Version: 4.6.1654.0 built by: NETFXREL3STAGE
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Serialization/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Serialization.dll
System

Hope this helps.......

Thanks..
6 years 6 months ago #19499

Please check my signature on how to submit logs for INDI.
6 years 6 months ago #19501

• Thank you received: 46

Replied by Gerry Rozema on topic NexDome

After homing the dome, if you move it by one degree using the indi control panel, does it then show 'at home' ? If that gets the dome showing 'at home', then you should be able to proceed from there. FYI, once the dome has been calibrated, doesn't matter if it was done from indi, or something else, that calibration is stored in the controller and it wont need to be re-calibrated. The 'AtHome' return is only required for start of calibration with the V1.10 dome firmware. Once it's calibrated, handling of the home sensor is internal to the controller, and it syncs itself properly when the magnet passes the sensor. There is no need to be 'athome' for any of the operattions after that.

There is another firmware update _almost_ ready that changes handling of the magnet detection on the home sensor somewhat in a way that we no longer need to start the calibration from the 'at home' position, but I cant finish testing it today because a storm has rolled in and the dome has wind locks on today
6 years 6 months ago #19541

• Thank you received: 53

Replied by Ron Kramer on topic NexDome

Just found this - it's a bit outdated. (Hi Diego , I know you've come along way since your posts here).

Tim Long in the UK has been commissioned by NexDome to rewrite the code/drivers.

I have a perfectly working nexdome under windows. = (

TRYING to consolidate all the software into kstars. Has ANYONE gotten the dome to slave with the scope? I don't see any such options or config in kstars or Ekos? Am I wasting my time hoping to make this transition?

I'm having issues with lime installed on the domePC, I'm going to transition it over to Astroberry. (for the no noVNC).

So I'm 300 ft remote. (wifi) What is this optical cable I read about above? (hard to install? pricey?

What would be my best solution for setup?

1. astroberry/kstars setup on domePC. configure Ekos as "LOCAL" devices and remote from in the house (on windows and or linux)

2. Astroberry indi installed on domePc - and configure Ekos/indi in the house to operate devices on a remote? (DomePC) system?

I suspect choice 1 would be better?
AP Mach1 / CP4 APCC & PEMpro.
EXP SCI - ED152cf APO - Celestron 11" RASA - Stellarvue 80mm
Baader F2 HS NB filters, Lodestar X2 guide camera / OAG - ZWO 290mm mini
ZWO ASI1600MM Pro / ASI174M (solar) / ASI094MC
NEXDome, CLoudwatcher, AVX mount/ASIair and Stellarmate

5 years 3 weeks ago #35831

• Thank you received: 53

Replied by Ron Kramer on topic NexDome

Did you get your homing sensor working? I read on our nexdome fb group that someone else had similar problem and opened the rotator box... found that the two sensor wires were connected to the wrong posts.
There are 4 posts there together. The two next to the ones it was connected to were labled on the CB as "HOME". He moved them over to the other posts (screw in connections) and solved his problem.
AP Mach1 / CP4 APCC & PEMpro.
EXP SCI - ED152cf APO - Celestron 11" RASA - Stellarvue 80mm
Baader F2 HS NB filters, Lodestar X2 guide camera / OAG - ZWO 290mm mini
ZWO ASI1600MM Pro / ASI174M (solar) / ASI094MC
NEXDome, CLoudwatcher, AVX mount/ASIair and Stellarmate

5 years 3 weeks ago #35976

• Thank you received: 10

Replied by Brent on topic NexDome

just checking if anyone is using a nexdome and stellarmate recently ??
4 years 3 weeks ago #50302

Not using one directly but the drivers should be working fine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brent
4 years 3 weeks ago #50303

• Thank you received: 155

Replied by Peter Kennett on topic NexDome

I have the Nexdome Rotation kit and hope to have it installed within two weeks. Once I get it installed I will test it with INDI/EKOS. I hope it works, as this will determine if I can run my observatory with EKOS or not.
3 years 6 months ago #59711

Time to create page: 0.838 seconds