INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

installing indiweb on Rock64 fails - SOLVED

• Thank you received: 16
Hi,

I'm trying to install indi on a Rock64 single board computer with Ubuntu.
So far I've managed to get indi running on this machine (and connecting to Ekos/Kstars on my windows laptop), but when I try to compile indiweb, it fails.
Basically, it doesn't seem to be able to find Python.h
Fyi, I run Python 2.7, but 3.5 is also installed on the computer.
Does anyone know how to solve this?

Here's a screenshot of the terminal window showing the compilation error.

Thanks,

Wim
The following user(s) said Thank You: Helge
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by Wim van Berlo.
6 years 4 months ago #20482
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 29
Hi Wim,

Thanks for sharing your work with the Rock64, which sounds very interesting given the board offers USB 3.0!

Unfortunately, I cannot answer your question, but could you let me know which Ubuntu distribution you are using, and whether implementing KStars required anything else / or is it essentially like working with the Raspberry? Would be great to know the steps how you got everything started (did you use the pine64-installer)?

Best, Helge
6 years 4 months ago #20484

I use the xenial distribution for microsd:
github.com/ayufan-rock64/linux-build/releases
After connecting to wifi, I ssh with putty and follow the installation steps for ubuntu to install indi (full installation with ekos bleeding).
I have the 2 GB version of the Rock64 with 32 GB micro sd card.
Installation was trouble free, except for indiweb. I think that this is related to python on the Rock (now there's a nice pun).
The usb3 is the reason I bought this board. I hope to reduce amp glow issues of my ASI174, which is supposed to be usb related.
6 years 4 months ago #20498

Thanks Wim for prompt reply. Just one more question: were you considering the Odroid xu4 as an alternative, which has two USB 3.0 ports? I noted that some people in this forum reported connectivity or other issues, possibly Rock64 could improve.
6 years 4 months ago #20499

I had Odroid xu4 and the Ethernet died. I'm interested to see how Rock64 fares in terms of support & reliability. Gigabit Ethernet + 2/4 GB RAM + USB3 is quite attractive.
6 years 4 months ago #20500

I had already read about the odroid problems, so never really considered that as an option.
6 years 4 months ago #20502

That is exactly what attracted me. As for support, imo it's nowhere near the raspberry pi yet. From the little I have read sofar, it seems that the community is still working on basic functionality.
Hardware quality is also not in the same league as the Pi. The backside of the board had still some kind of residue left after soldering. Solder joints look clean, and I hope the residue won't cause corrosion, as I'll use it outside, on my mount. The good thing is that it's supposed to have the same layout as the Pi, so I can use a standard pi box. Just need to enlarge the hole for the power connector, which is a standard barrel type.

Now, back to my original question. Does anyone have an idea why I can't compile indiweb? The python compiler that the computer uses is 2.7. Is this relevant? It seems to complain about a missing python.h file.
I can use the computer without it, but the web manager makes life so much easier.

Cheers,
Wim
6 years 4 months ago #20503

SUCCESS!

A little googling revealed that python-dev wasn't installed properly. Installed python-dev for Python 2.7 and indiweb installed without a glitch.

$ sudo apt-get install python-dev

after that installed indiweb the normal way
$ sudo pip install indiweb

started web manager and could connect from my windows machine and start the simulator drivers.
Started up Ekos/Kstars from windows and could connect the simulator devices.
All seems well now.

Besides the detail with indiweb, installation of the Rock64 was about as easy as a Raspberry Pi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Helge
6 years 4 months ago #20517

Fantastic - just ordered one....:)
6 years 4 months ago #20521

Time to create page: 0.478 seconds