INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Newbie requests help with remote connection on StellarMate

• Thank you received: 155
Hello all, sorry if this topic has been addressed before. If so, please let me know where to find the info.
I have a new StellarMate Gadget and it works well when I connect to it via the installed screen sharing ap.
What I would like to do is run EKOS on my laptop via a wireless connection to the StellarMate gadget so I have a more responsive system vs the screenshared lag.
Are there are any step by step directions to do this?
6 years 5 months ago #20618

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

All the video tutorials are here: www.youtube.com/channel/UC1x4aSvnUVtBNafANsD_Izg

Short version is: run Ekos Profile Wizard from Ekos Setup screen, when asked about address, put stellarmate.local
That's pretty much it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Peter Kennett
6 years 5 months ago #20619

Thank you again!

I connected my Macbook Pro to the Stellarmate by wifi and was able to run KStars, EKOS, my Lodestar guider and Canon 6D without a hitch!
Perfect!

But then I tried to get SkySafari to run too, using the INDI Skysafari instructions. I was finaly able to get the SkySafari server to run on INDI, but SkySafari was not able to connect to the mount. Even though my mount is a CEM25, I was sure to select Meade LX200 as instructed. but there must be a step I missed. Skysafari said it could connect via TCP to the server, but not the mount and suggested I had the wrong mount type selected.

My config is as follows:

CEM25 with a StellarMate connected to it via USB/RS232.

via wifi or Ethernet

MacBook, running EKOS, KSTARS, and SkySafari.

Any advice would be most appreciated!
6 years 5 months ago #20627

In INDI control panel, Sky Safari driver, is it connected? Can you post screenshots of the driver Main Control Panel & Options tab?
6 years 5 months ago #20628

I will try again this afternoon. I am sure it's just user error.

Note: Last night I was running all aps (INDI, EKOS, and SkySafari all on my laptop, which had no direct hardware connection to anything. I had just used the Stellarmate as a bridge to connect to the mount and other gear. Should I have launched INDI or EKOS on the Stellarmate first, via the screen sharing ap?
6 years 5 months ago #20631

No need. If you're using Ekos on a Mac Pro, then that's all you need to deal with. It should communicate with StellarMate and launch INDI drivers itself. Just make sure SkySafari, you are connecting to StellarMate IP address and port 9624.
6 years 5 months ago #20632

Thanks Jasem, I will give it another shot today.

One additional question, if I may: Will EKOS guide my CEM25 via the mount's USB/RS232 port, or should I connect the Lodestar's autoguide port to the mount's guiding port?
6 years 5 months ago #20633

Also, are you connecting to StellarMate over HotSpot or is it joined to your WiFi home network?
6 years 5 months ago #20634

Hotspot. I plan on using this away from my house, so no home network will be available.
Actually,. I may just use Ethernet as it is much faster than wifi.
6 years 5 months ago #20635

(some may wonder why not just connect the laptop to the mount and gear). The reason I want to do this somewhat remotely is so I can control everything from the safety of my Jeep and not have a bunch of cables running from the mount to the Jeep. I will be out in the Bush in Uganda, and there are a few large animals that like to eat people here. Sitting in the dark alone is not a good thing to do when lions, leopards, hyenas and hippos are nearby.
6 years 5 months ago #20636

Good luck! Ok, so when using hotspot, in SkySafari, set the IP address to: 10.250.250.1 and port to 9624
And yes, you can guide directly from the mount OR use the ST4 cable, it's up to use.
6 years 5 months ago #20637

Still no luck with SkySafari. :(
Here's the screen shots..
6 years 5 months ago #20640

Time to create page: 0.251 seconds