INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

rock64 - astroberry focuser

• Thank you received: 29
I have been installing on the rock64 the astroberry-diy-server, in particular the astroberry focuser. Went ok, only required to first install the cmake lib.

When connecting the driver, the connection to astroberry focuser failed. I suspect that this could relate to missing I2C and SPI settings done on the Raspberry in the /boot/confidence.txt file.

Such equivalent file looks a little bit different. Could be, the interfaces are already enabled - but not sure how to verify.

Would anyone have an idea how to resolve?
6 years 3 months ago #21341

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 51

Replied by Patrick on topic rock64 - astroberry focuser

I have similar problem with the Tinkerboard. All compile well and all looks to work fine, means no specific errors when starting indiserver but I can't connect the focuser from Ekos. Still searching where the problem occurs.
6 years 3 months ago #21373

Replied by Helge on topic rock64 - astroberry focuser

I dropped a post at the pine64 forum re the IC2, SPI settings in the config file. Thought it might play a role?

forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=5409

Were you applying any dedicated settings in the config file?
6 years 3 months ago #21382

Did some further testing, the astroberry focuser driver can be started on the rock64, but does not get connected to EKOS. Looking at the logs, this is the error message (see also the attachment):

INDI Server: "2017-12-02T20:46:51: Driver indi_rpifocus: bcm2835_init: Unable to open /dev/gpiomem: No such file or directory"

I did a download of (and installed) the latest BCM2385 library, but that did not make a difference.

Would anyone happen to know what is missing?
6 years 3 months ago #21404
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 375
Gentlemen, I'm afraid that focuser driver will not work on devices other than Raspberry Pi.
Raspberry is built on Broadcom chips i.e. bcm2835 (Raspberry Pi 1 and Zero), bcm2836 (Raspberry Pi 2), bcm2837 (Raspberry Pi 3 and later Raspberry Pi 2). See hardware documentation here . Focuser driver is directly connected to GPIO pins (no i2c, no spi, no serial, just GPIO) which are controlled with bcm2835/6/7 library.
You're trying to use the driver to control GPIOs of devices that do not use bcm2835/6/7 chip onboard. This is not going to work.
To use the driver on devices other than Raspberry you would need to use their native libraries to access GPIO and rewrite the necessary parts of the driver.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Helge
6 years 3 months ago #21413

Hello Radek ,
I have seen that there was a specific lib that was used. You confirm it. I am afraid it will be difficult but not impossible to adapt the astroberry focuser to our devices.
There is some wrapping libraries whose name is wiringPi. Why didn't you used it in astroberry ?
Best regards
Patrick
6 years 3 months ago #21418

There is a way to modify the focus code using wiringPI lib. This one exists for the Tinkerboard. Maybe it exists for the rock64. I will try it in the next days I hope.
6 years 3 months ago #21434

• Thank you received: 375
It's quite easy and not much work. You can give it a try,
Well, I have chosen other approach... it was at the beginning of 2015 so I don't really remember why. I think that porting to wiring pi might be good idea. DOes it support other devices?
6 years 3 months ago #21446

I don't know if it exists for all devices (I guess it does for RPi compatibility) but for Tinkerboard it is available on the Asus site. I have done all the modifs needed to replace bcm2835 lib by wiringPi functions. I can't test it by now because I don't have the parts under hand. Maybe I will test it before end of week.
6 years 3 months ago #21452

Tried installing wiringPi on the Rock64, but did not succeed. First according to instructions on wiringPi.com website. Installation was possible but got error message when checking “gpio readall”.

Then tried to install wiringPi-Pine64 - maybe I got it wrong, or it just was a bad idea anyway.

Summing up, I did not find a suitable wiringPi lib for the rock64.

Does anyone else have an idea?
6 years 3 months ago #21455

You have done the right thing I guess: installed the wiringPi-Pine64 lib. This is what is suggested in the pine64 forum.
You have to compile and install it. But maybe this is what you have done.
On my side after compilation and installation "gpio readall" worked fine.
I can't suggest anything more.
6 years 3 months ago #21463

Time to create page: 0.242 seconds