INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

absolute encoders

• Thank you received: 223
This is more of a general discussion (for now), absolute encoders if I understand correctly will never loose track of where the mount is pointing to. While digital encoders will loose the data on power loss (ie: switch off the power). I do know there are drivers for DSC (see this thread).

Do we have anybody here on this forum with a mount equipped with absolute encoders?
Will there be such support in Ekos for it in the future?

I'm sure with some super DIY skills, you could potentially adapt such encoders to almost any mounts.
Would love to be able to turn off the mount at any position, restore the power and have Ekos know precisely where the mount is.
6 years 3 months ago #21449

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic absolute encoders

This is not related to Ekos, it's related to INDI. Most "absolute" focusers have some sort of absolute encoders so even after power cycle they know their position. Some high-end mounts are equipped with absolute position encoders.
6 years 3 months ago #21450

Replied by Gonzothegreat on topic absolute encoders

yes I meant Indi and not Ekos. Do you have any example of such "absolute" focusers please? I'd like to understand more about it.
6 years 3 months ago #21451

Moonlite is one such example. But all the encoder stuff are handled in the controller. We don't see that in INDI driver, we just get the absolute position
6 years 3 months ago #21477

If you want to see how absolute encoders are used in a driver, I wrote something for KNRO here: github.com/indilib/indi/tree/work/indi-knro
6 years 3 months ago #21478

Replied by Gonzothegreat on topic absolute encoders

thanks, and I understand that the position is handled by the encoder controller.
Let's imagine this scenario:
everything is connected (mount, scope, encoders etc...), running all fine, you decide to release the mount's clutches and move the scope orientation.
Will the new position be reflected in Ekos via Indi?
6 years 3 months ago #21483

• Thank you received: 10

Replied by Dan Holler on topic absolute encoders

Yes, it certainly should if the KStars is receiving the position from the mount. This does not necessarily require absolute encoders. For example: We use an AP mount and KStars. Once we make the INDI link between KStars Ekos and the mount, we can use the mount's own hand controller to move the mount. The new position IS reflected on the sky map on KStars.
6 years 3 months ago #21510

Time to create page: 0.214 seconds