INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Running Kstars and Ekos on Windows...

• a Guest
  • a Guest's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Running Kstars and Ekos on Windows... was created by a Guest

Hi all,
Maybe a stupid question and not in the right place, with INDI running on a PI mounted on my mount with all my kit connected to it, Can I control my kit from their with a Windows 10 Computer and run Kstars and Ekos direct from Windows 10....or do they have to be run in a virtual machine to work, i have only ever used with Linux before, but need to now use a Windows machine..
Cheers
Olly
6 years 3 months ago #21990
The topic has been locked.
Yes KStars on Windows + RPI3 is OK. No need for virtual machine.
6 years 3 months ago #21993
  • a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by a Guest on topic Running Kstars and Ekos on Windows...

So I just download Kstars onto my win 10 PC, and then what’s the best and easiest way to get the INDI drivers onto the Pi3, domi just put Ubuntu mate on then how do I get th drivers on there, I don’t need anything else on there are will remote operate from my windows PC, or am I missing something...??
Olly :)
6 years 2 months ago #22030
  • Thank you received: 223
Hi Olly,

Check out the following link:
www.indilib.org/support/tutorials/139-in...on-raspberry-pi.html
I would highly recommend that you stick to Ubuntu Mate on the Pi so that you do not have to download the drivers manually.
It's simple as:
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:mutlaqja/ppa
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install indi-full
The following user(s) said Thank You: a Guest
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by Gonzothegreat.
6 years 2 months ago #22032
  • a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Thanks for that, but you are talking to a complete beginner here.....
So I install Ubuntu mate from an SD card and then run the script you mention and that will install all I need...yes..? I assume it need to be on the internet to download all the INdI drivers...or do I download them to my Main PC first....
As I say I am a real newbie
Also I am wanting a driver for my Pegasus ultimate power hub, i see there is one for there focus controller, but wondered who created that, would it have been Pegasus or someone linked with this site...
Olly
6 years 2 months ago #22037
  • Thank you received: 223
Olly,

nothing wrong being a beginner, we were all one :)
On your RPi3, you mentioned: domi just put Ubuntu mate so I'm going to assume that your PI is up and running.
Is your PI connected connected to a monitor and have a keyboard/mouse plugged in to it?
Is your PI on your network (as in: can you ping google.com)?

If yes to all of that, then open up a terminal (you'll find that somewhere from the start menu in Ubuntu or maybe there is a shortcut on the desktop).
In the terminal type:
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:mutlaqja/ppa
then
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install indi-full

If you the PI is not connected to a monitor, then you'll have to SSH to it using a software called Putty .
The problem is that without knowing the IP address of the PI, that's going to be difficult, so you'll have to find out somehow which IP the PI is setup with.
Many tutorials online for this.
ie: thepihut.com/blogs/raspberry-pi-tutorial...ess-the-command-line
6 years 2 months ago #22039
An alternative is to use StellarMate OS image. It comes ready with everything, you just burn it to the SD card and get started immediately. You'll also be supporting Ekos/INDI development this way.
6 years 2 months ago #22066
  • a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Yes, but I only need Ubuntu mate and the INDI library on the Pi3 all else will be on my Windows machine indoors...I think that comes with a host of other software I don’t need, but I maybe wrong.... any news from Pegasus yet...?
Olly :)
6 years 2 months ago #22067
It's basically INDI+Drivers+Ekos plus other tools to make communicating with your devices more reliable and can create a hotspot on the go and switch between networks transparently. Pegasus said they will work on a driver for the hub.
6 years 2 months ago #22069
  • a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Just had a look at stellarmate, doesnt that contradict the advice about having just the Ubuntu mate and the INdI drivers on the Pi3 at the mount, and controlling via a second PC away from the mount, but with this it will be all on loaded the one Pi3....??
6 years 2 months ago #22070
  • a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

So if I use Stellarmate OS on the Pi3at the mount, i will still be able to use Kstars and Ekos on my Windows machine in the house.., and not the version on the Pi3....?.
6 years 2 months ago #22071
It can be used either way. You have the choice. My complete observatory is running on StellarMate, but I always use KStars on my desktop machine to connect remotely to it. Some folks have mobile setups and they like to use KStars on StellarMate itself to do all the control, and therefore no need for laptop on the field.
6 years 2 months ago #22072
Time to create page: 0.353 seconds