INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

GPSD to wait for network - RPI3/Stellarmate, Chrony, Hotspot

• Thank you received: 24
Hi,

Does anyone know how to get GSPD to either wait for a network setup or, to auto restart when the network connects?

Using Stellarmate, iOS app GPS2IP, Chrony, GPSD, LAN or Hootoo hotspot the setup is working really good with one exception, GSPD needs to be manually restarted via SSH. I have GPSD pointed to the IP of the iPhone running the GPS2IP app; perhaps the GPS USB dongle would be better... However, if there is a way that GSPD can be restarted once the network and Chrony are up and running, then just powering on the RPI3 means the time can be synced from the GPS2IP iPhone app or an NTP server and no SSH restart of GPSD is needed.

If the RPI3 can get a route to a NTP server, via the internet or Lan, then Chrony (once chrony.conf is correct) will switch and use an NTP server for time. Otherwise, with GPS2IP running on the same subnet as the RPI3 Chrony can still sync time with the iPhone GPS. In theory, Chrony could switch to a USB GPS dongle too, yet I do not have one to test.

So with Stellarmate switching the RPI3 from wifi when not connected to ethernet when wired, and the hootoo bridged to my home lan, either network can be easily VNC'd into to run Ekos on the RPI3. It is almost a seamless nirvana of either on the home LAN, or remote hotspot, all using the same IP address to work with the RPI3. The iPhone can offer the timesync, as well as the Long/lat from the phone using GPS2IP app. All that is needed it to power on and connect the network.

If you have any thoughts on how the RPI3 can restart the GSPD service once the network is there let me know please.

Thank you
6 years 2 months ago #22390

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Have you tried using GPS NMEA driver with your phone?
6 years 2 months ago #22396

• Thank you received: 24
Hi Jasem,

Yes the GPS NMEA driver did work. When I tried it, it did not set the system date and time on the RPI3, so I switched back to the GPSD.

sudo systemctl restart gpsd.service does solve the problem. It requires me ssh'ing into the RPI3 though and if I can automate it or avoid it then the solution works.

BTW, testing with foxtrotgps on the RPI3 to confirm things is kinda cool. cgps -s works too though.

Thank you
6 years 2 months ago #22447

Time to create page: 0.452 seconds