INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Paramount, "Load & Slew", "Capture & Solve" & "Slew to Target"

• Thank you received: 24
Hi,

When using "Load & Slew" or "Capture & Solve" along with "Slew to Target", is a sync issued to the Paramount?

I understand the sync command would affect the TPoint model, and the "Close Loop Slew" command is what should be issued to the Paramount.

Thank you
6 years 3 months ago #22448

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Yes a Sync is issued. It is treated like any other mount as far Ekos is concerned. How else would you sync it then?
6 years 3 months ago #22453

• Thank you received: 24
Yes that is fair. I was wondering if it may use calculated offsets instead of using sync to do centring...

I also mistakenly mixed up some other threads:
- forum.mainsequencesoftware.com/t/sgp-wor...paramount-tsx/1795/5
- www.cloudynights.com/topic/552837-sgp-with-myt-using-skyx/

I need to get some sleep... lol...

thank you and all the best to you
6 years 3 months ago #22477

• Thank you received: 20
The behavior we need with a paramount is to emulate a "Closed Loop Slew" using the Alignment module to get the FOV center exactly where we want it. With a Tpoint run we can usually get fantastic results, but if you want repeatability CLS "brings it in" just those list few arc seconds. A sync should not occur in cases like this. Instead, what we want is the ability to enable or disable a sync, or even better, the addition of a tpoint measurement via TSX. I don't see a way to do this quite yet, but their Automapper tool may come in handy.

FYI - This tests were run with the SB Telescope Simulator. I will test with my MX+ or MyT in the next day or so.

On the wire a "Solve and Slew" looks like using a telescope simulator on TSX:

### Asynch slew
/* Java Script */var Out;try {sky6RASCOMTele.Asynchronous = true;sky6RASCOMTele.SlewToRaDec(5.27539, 34.6569,'');Out = 'OK'; }catch (err) {Out = err; }OK|No error. Error = 0.
### Polling to see if the slew is complete. 1 means it is.
/* Java Script */var Out;Out = sky6RASCOMTele.IsSlewComplete;1|No error. Error = 0.
### Re-read out the Ra + Dec info
/* Java Script */var Out;sky6RASCOMTele.GetRaDec();Out = String(sky6RASCOMTele.dRa) + ',' + String(sky6RASCOMTele.dDec);5.275398103617252,34.65691184183388|No error. Error = 0.

NOTE: I don't see a sync occur in this instance, but I think I saw one previously.. That would look like this:

/* Java Script */var Out;try {sky6RASCOMTele.Sync(4.78113, 39.0132,'');Out = 'OK'; }catch (err) {Out = err; }OK|No error

Putting that in the Tools->RunJavascript tool works. TSX responds with OK but I don't see anything in the UI to indicate I am synced. The same is true if I attempt to sync directly through the UI.
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by Greg.
6 years 2 months ago #22591

sky6RASCOMTele.Sync should be called in "Solve and Slew". If it is not, then something is definitely wrong. Do you have the complete log for your run with the TSX Simulator?
6 years 2 months ago #22593

Log file attached as well as a packet capture. This is for Solve and Slew, with the solver action set to Slew to Target. I see no sync go over the wire with solve and slew. The logfile appears to confirm this. The syncs that do occur are ones that I asked kstars to do manually just to ensure that it will ask TSX to do that.

I see there is a Sync option as well. When I select that and run Solve and Slew this setting reverts back to Slew to Target. However, if I select Capture and Solve it appears to capture on the present location and attempts to sync the mount. Perhaps a better approach to this would be to have Sync as a checkbox option that can be enabled whether you are trying to Solve and Slew (and sync or not, your choice) and Capture and Solve (also sync or not). There are times where all of this is nice to have without issuing a sync to the mount IMHO. An example of this would be getting the rotator PA set based on a solution.

For Paramounts at least, it would be best to *not* sync after a Solve and Slew unless there is a reason to do so. Doing so automatically can cause problems with an existing Tpoint model. If TSX would allow the addition of TPoint entries based on syncs this would be useful. I'll need to test that with the actual mount. Having the option to sync or not in the Alignment module would be very handy either way.

One thing I noticed is the TSX simulator behaves differently than a Paramount. Not surprising. Sync doesn't seem to really do anything as far as I can tell. On a paramount syncs are tracked in the system and you can see them.
6 years 2 months ago #22602
Attachments:

What version of KStars are you using?

The Align module sycs the mount in either "Slew to target" and "Sync". With the former, the difference is that after the sync the mount is commanded a slew to target coordinates as well. If syncs are _not_ used, and there is a diff between telescope vs actual coordinates, what do you do?
6 years 2 months ago #22622

I'm on Kstars 2.8.9 on Ubuntu.

I think I got on two threads about the same subject. My fault. Here's the other:

indilib.org/forum/ekos/2922-slew-to-target-failed.html#22623

Paramounts don't need to sync once they have a pointing model established in The Sky X, so the syncing doesn't seem to help. When they do need to sync, it's only needed once per setup. I think this different than other mounts. Tpoint takes care of the rest.
6 years 2 months ago #22624

Time to create page: 0.834 seconds