Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
08 Apr 2018
INDI development team is happy to announce the release of INDI Library v1.7.0. This new exciting release builds on the maturity of INDI Library and comes with many new supported devices and fixes for existing drivers.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC: Astroberry GPS driver suitable for ublox neo-6m gps module

Astroberry GPS driver suitable for ublox neo-6m gps module 4 months 1 day ago #22527

• HelgeMK
  • HelgeMK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11
Hi everyone,

Just wondering if I can run above module using the astroberry gps driver (which seems to allow connecting to the gpio 14/15 as foreseen by the driver).

Thanks, Helge

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Astroberry GPS driver suitable for ublox neo-6m gps module 3 months 4 weeks ago #22553

The driver relies on GPSD service so once you configure successfully GPSD for your gps device you should be fine with the driver too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HelgeMK

Astroberry GPS driver suitable for ublox neo-6m gps module 3 months 3 weeks ago #22637

• HelgeMK
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Hi Radek,

Tried tonight first time. Found some tutorials on GPSD configuration and got lost, which approach to go for, which updates to which config files are really needed. I connected to the Astroberry-GPS, but got „no fix“. The module I am using has a blue led that is flashing up every two seconds, so that seems to be working.

Can you point me to the right tutorial for astroberry users - or advise on how to configurate?

Thanks a lot for kind support!

Helge

Astroberry GPS driver suitable for ublox neo-6m gps module 3 months 3 weeks ago #22651

• HelgeMK
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Just to add this link, leading to a tutorial which seems well structured, discussing also the UART settings. However this one suggests to disable the Bluetooth. I am not sure if completely, or just a specific route. I am actually using Bluetooth to connect to the Shoestring Bluetooth adapter.

circuitdigest.com/microcontroller-projec...s-module-interfacing

Could you advise if I can follow these instructions or which parts I better not touch?

Astroberry GPS driver suitable for ublox neo-6m gps module 3 months 3 weeks ago #22656

I wouldn't go for disabling BT. No need to do this whatsoever. You only need these in your /boot/config.txt
enable_uart=1
force_turbo=1

Just connect your GPS RX/TX pins to RPi TX/RX pins. The GPS will be available at /dev/ttyS0
Test the connection by running minicom /dev/ttyS0 - it should return NMEA data
Configure GPSD to use /dev/ttyS0 (in /etc/default/gpsd)
Restart GPSD (sudo /etc/init.d/gpsd restart)
Test GPSD by running gpsmon or cgps

If it's OK your INDI driver will be OK as well

Good luck!
The following user(s) said Thank You: pcxz, HelgeMK

Last Edit: by Kaczorek.

Astroberry GPS driver suitable for ublox neo-6m gps module 3 months 3 weeks ago #22659

• HelgeMK
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Great, it is working!!!

Also thanks for the hint to connect RX to TX, I have to admit that I connected RX to RX...:unsure:

Astroberry GPS driver suitable for ublox neo-6m gps module 3 months 2 weeks ago #22772

• HelgeMK
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Need to ask this question: I have difficulties to „fix“ (no fix) the connection. I.e. when running cgps iI can see 5-7 „PRNs“ which I interpret as available satellites (correct?), with numbers between 5 and 29. I am powering the module thru the GPIOs from the RPi. Measuring voltage (input), I see just 3 V, not 3.3 V. Could this affect ability to connect?

Astroberry GPS driver suitable for ublox neo-6m gps module 3 months 2 weeks ago #22798

• HelgeMK
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Update: tried separate power supply for the 3.3V input to the module, situation unchanged.

Would be great if someone had an idea why gps is not connecting - strange, since it did before!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.360 seconds

Login

3rd Party

Choose from the numerous 3rd party INDI drivers to suit your needs!

Got Problem?

Check out the FAQ, the forum, and the bug tracking system to resolve any issues you might have!
You can also subscribe to INDI newsletter and development mailing lists to get the latest updates on INDI!

Gallery

Replica

Why INDI

Replica