INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Canon 1000D problem with aborted exposures

• Thank you received: 62
Hi!

I have an issue with my fairly new 1000D. What happens is that when exposures for some reason is aborted, the camera stops working.

I have set it in the INDI control panel to save images to RAM, not to SD-card. Then I start for instance a 30 sec exposire, and abort it (as can happen when using the scheduler and the autoguding fails, as I understand it). Then, on the camera LCD, the number of exposures left starts flashing and just keeps flashing. As if the camera holds an exposure in RAM and don't know what to do with it. And in this situation, it does not react to a new exposure. If I click preview in Ekos, for instance, Ekos says that it is exposing, but it is not.

When I switch the setting in INDI to save on SD-card, it works. On abortion, the number flashes for a few seconds, then settles. And the camera responds to a new exposure. Nicely.

However, in this last situation, the SD-card fills up. Currently I have a 4 GB card in it. and it says there is space for 367 pictures at most. Given that focusing "eats" a lot of exposures, this means that I run a great risk of filling up the card during one nights imaging. Of course, I can try a bigger card. But I'd need to delete the files after ever night, if I get it right.

On my previous camera, there was no option of not using the SD-card, so I filled it up. But it produced smaller files...

Do the rest of you using similar cameras experience similar behavior? And how do you manage it? Do you set it to save on SD-card or in RAM?

Magnus
6 years 1 month ago #23034

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 32
So, apparently nothing is known about this. :) I'm experiencing abort failures on my 6D as well, although I didn't test the abort button yet (will do tonight). I am experiencing the problem with the focus module, it takes a photo, then wants to do the next and it fails (I hear a fast shutter going off and basically everything stalls). Works again if I press stop on the focuse module. Do you by any chance have similar behaviour as well?

I've set the storage to ram as the SD save didn't work yet, I think I have some permissions issue maybe. But it does sound a lot like the ram setting is causing this actually.
Last edit: 6 years 1 month ago by Vincent Groenewold.
6 years 1 month ago #23067

• Thank you received: 420
Jasem once explained to me that this is expected behaviour when using the Canon driver. With the GPhoto driver the camera should keep on working after an aborted exposure. It does for me and my 700D.
Last edit: 6 years 1 month ago by Wouter van Reeven.
6 years 1 month ago #23075

• Thank you received: 32
I tried now with exposing and clicking on the abort button when the setting is to ram. That works, so I think this somehow is still a problem at the focus stage. Setting it to SD card doesn't seem to work at the moment, trying to figure out why.
6 years 1 month ago #23077

• Thank you received: 62

Hi!

So how do you handle it, when there is an aboirted exposure? If that happens in the middle of a scheduled operation, for instance, the operation is stalled, at least that is what happens for me. It seems NOT to be the case when I have set it to save on SD-card, but then I have hte problem with filling up the SD-card, I guess. (haven't tried a full night yet).

Magnus
6 years 1 month ago #23080

• Thank you received: 420
To be honest, that hasn’t happened to me yet. Sorry, perhaps I was confusing two different situations.
6 years 1 month ago #23088

Time to create page: 0.214 seconds