INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

SkySafari 6 doesn't connect

• Thank you received: 15
Hello

The issue is that the command is an HTTP GET.

HTTP GET /setserial?baud=9600;bit=8;parity=N;stop=1

The Raspberry INDI does not know what to do with it.

NGINX responds with a

HTTP 1.6 404 error.

Looks like something has to change.
6 years 2 weeks ago #23981

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hello,

The call is an HTTP GET command.

HTTP GET /setserial?baud=9600;bit=8;parity=1;stop=N

The INDI driver does not know what to do with this command.

IT gives up. NGINX responds with a 404 message.
6 years 2 weeks ago #23982

Is this SKySafari Desktop or Mobile version?? On mobile, it just communicated directly using whatever protocol was set eg. LX200. Above it looks like it's using internal server to perform the connection. Obviously, SkySafari and expecting an HTTP Response from the server, what's the response? and what happens after the response is OK? does it continue to send GET/POST requests or it starts sending raw low level mount commands?
6 years 2 weeks ago #24002

Hello,

For iOS, SkySafari is open to iPhone, iPod, and iPad any size. The dumps provided do not show the communication.

To connect to the scope, a SETUP screen is given to connect to the Web interface. On a PI, INDI is the Web manager for HTTP connections. On SkySafari 6, the scope selections are stated to be the ones compatible to itself. This is stated on its website.

I used tshark to peer into the the client/server response. I collated the time to find the exchange and residuals. This the sequence in mil-seconds.

SS6Pro - 10.0.0.2 "HTTP GET /setserial?baud=9600;bit=8;parity=N;stop=1"

INDI - 10.0.0.1:7642 HTTP 1.6 404 "-" "-"

On iPad or iPhone, this is message. (The iPod cannot talk to the INDI with SS6Pro.)

"SkySafari 6 Pro can make a wireless connection to the scope, but the scope is not responding. Make sure it is connected and powered on. Also check that your scope type is correct. "

No matter which scope driver identified on the SkySafari, the client response is the same. Setting up communication with the scope is always the first step to assuming control of the scope. Per the company offerings, SkyFI and Wired SkyFi are their tools for connect a scope for mobile control. This makes it a nice homogeneously closed system.

So, if anyone hot rods the scope to be any of the following:
1. reduces PEC by two decimals.
2. changes any gears to a different ratio.
3. modifies any focus system.
tough luck. Stock is what is given under SkySafari. No avenue is available to change the game to anything better in this paradigm.

I have the PCAP that has this exchange.
6 years 2 weeks ago #24008

I'm using SkySafari 5 Plus on my Android tablet. I just specified the IP address and port (9624) and "Auto Detect SkyFi" was unchecked. Is it checked in your case?
6 years 2 weeks ago #24015

Hello

Thank you for the reply. 7624 and 9624 are the ports used by the SkySafari INDI driver. This driver is for the SS5. That is apparent. SS6 has broken away from the past. It does not recognize this driver.

Yes. 9624 was used and SkyFI is turned off. It does not connect. On CloudyNights, the specs said they were cutting a new path. Well, the get /setserial request is a new path.
Last edit: 6 years 2 weeks ago by John Robison.
6 years 2 weeks ago #24031

Well, I'll update the documentation to indicate that SkySafari 6 is not compatible with the driver. If anyone wants to look into handling SS6, be my guest. You can also contact them to request INDI support.
6 years 2 weeks ago #24040

Hello knro,

This looks to be the case. However, the connection is USB to mini USB to the AstroEQ. The AstroEQ has an ST4 port. If the ST4 port was attached to PI then communication would be different. I think this might be a different option to investigate. I have a few cables to investigate.

All communication to scopes are either Ethernet or RS232. As such, USB to USB is similar but not actual. In Windows, the AstroEQ works fine under EQmod and ASCOM over the USB port. There, COMX is used. Trying to think outside the box.
6 years 2 weeks ago #24053

I'm kinda lost here.. I thought we're talking about SS6 and now AstroEQ? AstroEQ works fine with EQMod driver under INDI.
6 years 2 weeks ago #24092

Hello,

LOL. That is the problem. SkySafari6, EQmod and INDI is the problem. In fact, the company specifically calls out the combination of EQmod and AstroEQ as unsupported equipment. SkySafari wants direct communication to the scope. That makes INDI and EQmod unsupported.

Having modified a 1984 Celestron SP-C6 mount (Super Polaris) this year, I was intrigued by all of the promises of AstroEQ. I bought one and it worked. My first light use was a disaster. My laptop is very power hungry. The battery I had was not sufficient.

I was looking for another solution. After joining CloudyNights, I was further interested in PI, INDI, and SkySafari (iOS).

I geared up on the requirements, connected it up, and the promised “it works” was wrong scope selected. No matter the scope type, the results were the same, (LX200, SkyWatcher, Nextstar, and iOptron) nothing worked. I manually entered motor info, ports used, and site iINDI. Nothing worked.

As a network security person, I sniffed the communication between the client and the server. I found the client requested from the server something the server did not have. “-“ “-“ usually means request unknown. The software on the PI version (astrohub) was two years old. I decided to update and align with the request.

Well, setserial was not on the PI version that I had. I installed it. INDI 1.60 with a storied SkySafari driver. I installed INDI 1.60. Nothing has worked. I had the reason. So, I joined this forum and offered my findings. This not a rant against INDI, AstroHub, AstroEQ, or PI. (PI 2 was two years old and PI 3 Model B is out . They are different.)

Change happens. I offered this team to be aware of vendor changes which may deny use of This product. This is what I was hoping to discuss.
Last edit: 6 years 2 weeks ago by John Robison.
6 years 2 weeks ago #24104

Ok, let's take SS6 out of the picture now. Can you use EQMod driver now with AstroEQ to control your Celestron mount?
6 years 2 weeks ago #24105

Hello,

Yes, it does under PI and under INDI. I will take my questions to the support forum. Let’s say that under EQmod, ASCOM, and CDC I was able to get it working very easily. It would slew, track and park with ease.

Under PI and INDI, the EQMod driver does not seem to read the motor settings nor the mount 144 teeth embedded into AstroEQ. The Starting position is correctly identified as RA 0 and DEC 90. This should be PARK. From the INDI driver, I select PARK. I watch the DEC decrement negative as the OTA corkscrews itself clockwise. Where do I set PARK under INDI? Is my question. I am able to set the clock under Windows.

The motors are dumb. The AstroEQ has the intelligence of motor type, power, and maximum steps. That I set under Windows. All I need is to set the clock. I was hoping to see the same in experience as Windows. Under SS6Pro, maybe the control would be there. But, that hope has faded the vendor changed the game. I have SS5Pro. I will find out if RPI is the reduced footprint. Right now, it is batting 0 with this configuration.
6 years 2 weeks ago #24123

Time to create page: 1.848 seconds