INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

SkySafari 6 doesn't connect

I'm kinda lost here.. I thought we're talking about SS6 and now AstroEQ? AstroEQ works fine with EQMod driver under INDI.
6 years 2 weeks ago #24092

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 15
Hello,

LOL. That is the problem. SkySafari6, EQmod and INDI is the problem. In fact, the company specifically calls out the combination of EQmod and AstroEQ as unsupported equipment. SkySafari wants direct communication to the scope. That makes INDI and EQmod unsupported.

Having modified a 1984 Celestron SP-C6 mount (Super Polaris) this year, I was intrigued by all of the promises of AstroEQ. I bought one and it worked. My first light use was a disaster. My laptop is very power hungry. The battery I had was not sufficient.

I was looking for another solution. After joining CloudyNights, I was further interested in PI, INDI, and SkySafari (iOS).

I geared up on the requirements, connected it up, and the promised “it works” was wrong scope selected. No matter the scope type, the results were the same, (LX200, SkyWatcher, Nextstar, and iOptron) nothing worked. I manually entered motor info, ports used, and site iINDI. Nothing worked.

As a network security person, I sniffed the communication between the client and the server. I found the client requested from the server something the server did not have. “-“ “-“ usually means request unknown. The software on the PI version (astrohub) was two years old. I decided to update and align with the request.

Well, setserial was not on the PI version that I had. I installed it. INDI 1.60 with a storied SkySafari driver. I installed INDI 1.60. Nothing has worked. I had the reason. So, I joined this forum and offered my findings. This not a rant against INDI, AstroHub, AstroEQ, or PI. (PI 2 was two years old and PI 3 Model B is out . They are different.)

Change happens. I offered this team to be aware of vendor changes which may deny use of This product. This is what I was hoping to discuss.
Last edit: 6 years 2 weeks ago by John Robison.
6 years 2 weeks ago #24104

Ok, let's take SS6 out of the picture now. Can you use EQMod driver now with AstroEQ to control your Celestron mount?
6 years 2 weeks ago #24105

Hello,

Yes, it does under PI and under INDI. I will take my questions to the support forum. Let’s say that under EQmod, ASCOM, and CDC I was able to get it working very easily. It would slew, track and park with ease.

Under PI and INDI, the EQMod driver does not seem to read the motor settings nor the mount 144 teeth embedded into AstroEQ. The Starting position is correctly identified as RA 0 and DEC 90. This should be PARK. From the INDI driver, I select PARK. I watch the DEC decrement negative as the OTA corkscrews itself clockwise. Where do I set PARK under INDI? Is my question. I am able to set the clock under Windows.

The motors are dumb. The AstroEQ has the intelligence of motor type, power, and maximum steps. That I set under Windows. All I need is to set the clock. I was hoping to see the same in experience as Windows. Under SS6Pro, maybe the control would be there. But, that hope has faded the vendor changed the game. I have SS5Pro. I will find out if RPI is the reduced footprint. Right now, it is batting 0 with this configuration.
6 years 2 weeks ago #24123

• Thank you received: 104
What is your AstroEQ version ?
Release notes for the last 8.11 include:

8.11 Fixes + Improvements
Fix major issue with Indilib.
The handling of the Synta :f command was wrong, resulting in incorrect status updates and issues using Indilib.

:f is GetAxisStatus , so a very important command.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq, Jean-Luc
6 years 2 weeks ago #24136

Hello Patrick

Yes! it is at 8.11. I finally got it to work with the AstroHUB and RPI. What a task. This is good to know that Synta is an option. I am curious if you have been experiencing sporadic empty configuration settings on the AstroEQ. Under RPI, the AstroEQloader seems to run better than Windows. INDI is now reading the AstroEQ properly. At least the data is what I put in. This was under RPI.

It is nice to have options. Now, for a clear sky to show up to test this out. I retro-graded to SS5Pro.
6 years 2 weeks ago #24149

• Thank you received: 0
Did you tried resetting your router ? Sometime this simple trick works like a charm
5 years 10 months ago #25721

Time to create page: 0.947 seconds