INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Synscan coordinates differ from those of the solver

• Thank you received: 37
Ok. Can you check the KStars version exactly on your Mac? The link what you written shows 2.8.8 what is more than a year old version.
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by Csaba Kertesz.
5 years 11 months ago #24722

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1
Yes, in my Mac it is installed the KStars release 2.9.2
Probably I linked an older version.
5 years 11 months ago #24723

1. Are you on negative GMT offset (timezone)?
2. Are you on Northern or Southern hemisphere?
5 years 11 months ago #24724

I am in a positive timezone (Palermo, that is UTC+2 owing to the daylight saving )
I am in the northern hemisphere (Palermo - Latitude: 38°07′55″ N )
5 years 11 months ago #24725

Oh then it should work. Let us know if the firmware update fixed the problem.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Franck
5 years 11 months ago #24726

I will report you if the update fixed the problem as soon as possible, once the weather conditions improve.
Thank you again!
:)
5 years 11 months ago #24727

I took advantage of a small time interval of good weather conditions in order to try again...
Unfortunately, even updating the firmware version does not fix the problem...
Even if the solver correctly detect the real coordinates of the field that is acquired, on the other hand the coordinates of the synscan are not synchronized to the solution, even if I choose the "Sync" option in the solver.
I attach some screenshots reporting the problem.
In the first image I report the sky map in which you can notice the Synscan cross in red, while the solution coordinates of the solver are highlighted inside the green circle I added.
The other image shows the solver panel in which you can see how the coordinates of the solver do not coincide with those of the mount (here the option slew to target has been automatically selected after the success of the solving process. The option I used actually was "Sync").
In the bottom panel actually you can see that according to Ekos, the program successfully synchronizes the coordinates of the mount to those obtained by the solver, but the coordinates shown in the panel "Telescope Coordinates" are not those obtained by the solver.
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by Franck.
5 years 11 months ago #24737
Attachments:

Ok. So the syncing does not work by some magical reason.

I would like to ask to test some things without clear sky:
1. Start your system.
2. Sync your handset inside KStars _without plate solving_. In KStars, go to a sky position, open a context menu, inside Synscan submenu, there is the Sync option. Select it and verify if the Synscan points to the new synced location.
3. Try the previous step in different parts of the sky.

Let us know if this kinda manual syncing works well or if it is does not work for some kind a RA or DEC coordinates. I am pretty sure now what is the problem, my current bet is that syncing does not work with negative RA and DEC values, but it works fine with positive RA/DEC values. My location and sky visibility does not have negative RA/DEC values therefore they were not tested. Let me know if my guess is right!
5 years 11 months ago #24738

I tried to follow your suggestion.
Unfortunately, the manual synchronization directly from the map of Kstars results unsuccessful for all the coordinates I tried: both positive or negative AR or DEC coordinates. For all the attempts I tried I always obtained that the crosshairs of the Synscan are far away from the coordinates I want to synchronize..
It's very very weird... :(

In the attached image I report you my attempt to synchronize the mount with the coordinates of Sirius ...
5 years 11 months ago #24742

Any news to solve this issue?
To date I have not fixed this problem. :(
5 years 10 months ago #25932

I don't have Synscan cable right now because I killed the previous one. The only thing you can do to record a log of the Synscan driver and attach here to have a look. At least I don't have any other idea how to progress further. You can change the logging levels before you connect to the INDI server in Ekos. There is a "Log" button where you can make verbose the logging. Then do a minimal test case with manual syncing on the sky map, stop the INDI and upload the log here.
Last edit: 5 years 10 months ago by Csaba Kertesz.
5 years 10 months ago #25934

• Thank you received: 102
Had a quick look at the code. In the Sync function, it looks like you're converting the RA/Dec into Alt/Az. In reading the Synscan Serial Communication Protocol PDF, it looks to me like they want RA/Dec for EQ mounts, or Alt/Az for Alt/Az mounts, whereas you're always converting to Alt/Az. That could be the source of the problem.

I don't have my mount setup right now, or I'd make the change and test it out. I won't have it set up until Sunday at the soonest.

-- Kevin
5 years 10 months ago #25943

Time to create page: 0.297 seconds