INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Synscan coordinates differ from those of the solver

• Thank you received: 37

There are two things in the Sync() function: position reset and the actual sync command. Can you do a quick check what happens if you remove the position reset command? Does it fix the situation? As I remember, the position reset was not there originally before my refactor, but it was needed for Alt/Az mounts to work properly. It is possible that it is unnecessary for EQ mounts.
Last edit: 5 years 10 months ago by Csaba Kertesz.
5 years 10 months ago #26073

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1
Hi guys!
in which folder have I to insert the synscanmount.cpp fixed file? I think this should be the fixed package to replace somewhere...
I have a Mac OS Sierra and the tree folder of kstars is /Applications/kstars.app/Contents/
5 years 10 months ago #26074

Frank, please wait a bit, the issues are not fixed yet as you can read in the previous two posts.
5 years 10 months ago #26075

Ok! ;)
I was just curious to test your change. I will wait for the final fix! Thank you! :)
5 years 10 months ago #26076

• Thank you received: 102

I tried it both ways, with and without that extra bit, with no difference. I made a video showing the behavior.

Sorry, the equatorial grid lines in KStars don't show up unless you watch it in 4K mode. But trust me, the lines are there. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq, Csaba Kertesz, Franck
5 years 10 months ago #26092

I checked the video and did some math with the results there, but I have no idea why RA update does not work. To be more weird, the results there do not make any sense. The RA jumps like random offset after syncing, but its update is identical to Dec in the protocol. I think this is a bug in the handset firmware, but strangely enough it works with my AltAz mount with V3 handset.

@Frank: KStars 2.9.6 was released a few days ago. Can you download to your Mac give a try? edu.kde.org/kstars/#download
I am the most curious what are your results now?
- Syncing works.
- RA does not sync, Dec syncs properly.
- None of them syncs properly.

If Frank is lucky, it is possible that this RA-sync bug is present only in V4 handsets (kross has this version), but not in V3. I and Frank have this version. Anyway if we discover these problems we can notify Skywatcher about the problem and hope if they will release a fixed firmware.

Frank, let us now your experiences.
Last edit: 5 years 9 months ago by Csaba Kertesz.
5 years 9 months ago #26260

Yes, I was informed about the new release and I already downloaded it.
Unfortunately I had no time to try it, but possibly I am going to try the new release just this night.
However, as I said previously in the discussion, my firmware version is the 4.39.05. Of course I will inform you on the results of my tests. ;)
5 years 9 months ago #26263

Frank has V4, I have V3. My V3 has been recently updated. My mount is put away right now, bad weather for a while (plus full moon), so I can't really check the exact version right now. But as of two months ago, it was the most recent V3 firmware.

Maybe, just maybe, it'll work for Frank and not me...
Last edit: 5 years 9 months ago by Kevin Ross.
5 years 9 months ago #26266

BTW Frank,

If you wanted to, you could put your handset into "PC Direct" mode (it's in the utility menu) and use the EQMod INDI driver instead of the SynScan driver. That will work with the same cable, no new cable required. The EQmod people don't recommend that for long term use, only short term testing. They recommend a proper cable that plugs directly into the mount (not handset) for long term use.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Franck
5 years 9 months ago #26268

This is the result of my test:
I tried to use both the SynScan driver and the EqMount driver, as suggested by Kross.

In the first case (SynScan) some problems occur. The problem should be in the A.R. coordinate. Every time I start to synchronize an object starting from the position of the celestial pole (more or less) the Dec coordinate seems approximately the same, whist this is not the case of the A.R coordinate.
If I synchronize an object once I've already synchronized a previous one, then the error propagates and the position showed by the SynScan marker results completely wrong.
On the other hand, if I run the session using the EqMount driver, the manual synchronization works very well and the marker points at the correct position every time I synchronize an object with the mount.

In order to have a direct view of this test I acquired a video. Apologizes if I am not enough clear.
Thank you again for your efforts! :)

Here the movie...

Last edit: 5 years 9 months ago by Franck.
5 years 9 months ago #26271

I'm glad you found a working solution!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Franck
5 years 9 months ago #26272

Other than my specific problem, I think that Kstars is a considerably useful and complete software for astrophotography and also for professional astronomy. It really worths to have also this problem fixed in future ;)
5 years 9 months ago #26274

Time to create page: 0.231 seconds